Frozen gearstick?

My 91 Acura Integra is an automatic with the shift on the floor. I’m not sure if it’s the extreme cold, or if snow under the car has jammed something, but I can’t get the gearstick out of park…what could be wrong? I haven’t had problems with the tranny…could it just be frozen up??

It’s more likely to be a problem with the brake interlock. Check the brake light switch under the dashboard. If it’s out of adjustment or isn’t working the brake lights won’t work, and neither will the shift interlock.

The owner’s manual may list a procedure to override the interlock in an emergency.

Yes, there should be information in the Owner’s Manual on how to override the shift interlock.

On some cars, this merely involves inserting a key into the appropriate slot on the console. On others, there is a tiny plastic cover to remove from the top of the console, after which you can insert the blade of a screwdriver in order to free-up the shift lever. On other models, it may be necessary to remove a portion of the console to reach the interlock override.

Whatever the method for that model, it will be shown in the Owner’s Manual–a car owner’s best resource for problem-solving.

Thanks! I noticed if the brake light isn’t on I can’t get the keys out of the ignition also…thought that was weird. I will look in the manual for the override…there is a key slot right on the console…I will try that first.