Fragile bumper covers

+1
When I was a teenager, one of my friends had a humorous (??) description of that type of parking behavior.
Norm used to say that they would “back up until they hear glass”.

2 Likes

One thing to keep in mind. plastic bumpers will crack a lot easier in freezing weather than in hot weather.

2 Likes

I believe this is a late model Flinstonemobile.

1 Like

Had to laugh at this. Loved that about my 94 K1500 scrap yard rescue. Every body panel was dented already in some fashion. Very liberating! Door dings are not a concern when the vehicle you’re driving looks the previous owner drove it through the woods backwards while having a few cocktails. Man, I wish I’d kept that thing.

2 Likes

Must be made in Italy!

Back in 1964 our driver’s training car had curb feelers on it. Saved a lot of tires. I didn’t know you could still buy them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=curb+feelers&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&vet=1&fir=PNzYivhdqfa0_M%2CJfCaTtKzoqLOrM%2C_%3Bt_uG9SaLVABChM%2CeAiWsM0sWqh4PM%2C_%3BU6d_TPw-pIB1VM%2CI5khBpIC0QtAlM%2C_%3BJDIZEV9pCv9ptM%2CtD2jMSoS7TfRKM%2C_%3BDPSSWfP0aMEEmM%2CuTFhhasBABNypM%2C_%3Bv6cGZyAwm8UDNM%2CxOmvE7lc6TU6kM%2C_%3BxutmI03aXsuy2M%2CdwVfjsMM65cBEM%2C_%3B7x5OrHxp9cYpHM%2Cvd9KE4g_0Buu6M%2C_%3BaPFsA8DLRHCBSM%2COSedExrDjmIxlM%2C_%3BUkZHDIcQXTrOYM%2C1JEv4lw6hWUjLM%2C_%3BKCVcTD6qkg3ZzM%2CP-5wwqhjGoD8zM%2C_%3BraU66PV-saPSkM%2CtMt1M5sXWnoBlM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kTJJtoF9d09vjZ-cUiGDiLBDnYP1w&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiNvO2Ww-72AhULHzQIHTN6BqMQ9QF6BAgFEAE&biw=1407&bih=624&dpr=1.13#imgrc=PNzYivhdqfa0_M

Could you explain? I’m missing why this is humorous. How is the phrase “Fried Chile A Christmas Story” related to the word “Fragile”?

The first time I ever saw a wooden front bumper, it was on a VW bus in northern California

He pronounces it “fra-geel-ee” which sounds Italian

2 Likes

OK, I understand now. I wasn’t able to listen to the audio, only read the closed captions.

1 Like

True. Living in Canada, we have always known that. But, again, similar treatment of bumper covers on different cars has yielded different results. Similar with the Alero and Civic, in that they never cracked, different for the Fusion, which did.

Fast retraction technology has become quite impressive these days. :wink:

2 Likes

There was quite a bit of discussion of the saw stop among wood workers some years ago. Saw stop was trying to make it mandatory for all saw manufacturers. Yeah nice safety device except the table saws run about $2000 or more and each time it is stopped, you need a new module for about $60. Kinda like an air bag. One time use only. My saw was $75 used, 24 years ago and still just fine and I have all my digits. The only accident I ever had was on the band saw. So ya just gotta be careful with planers, saws, drill presses, and other shiny stuff in the garage.

1 Like

An even bigger issue is that the collision strip or bumper under the bumper cover stops about 9 inches from the outer edge of the bumper. You’ll see numerous cars in parking lots where a 2 MPH accident in to a post or such took out the whole corner of the car and completely broke off the edge of the bumper cover. This is all to save what 10 pounds? Make the gas tank a gallon smaller to save that weight instead and give me a full bumper. If you buy a new car it is likely worth welding on extensions to the bumper to fix this. The probability that the car will get hit on the corner over its life is quite high. The Volvo 850 has a mostly full width bumper with a nice black cover. But that’s 22 years old now. Teslas seem to have a full width bumper under the cover. Maybe you should drive a mail truck?

Not only are the bumper covers flimsy, but they hang down quite low and an accident in a parking lot involving backing out after hitting a parking barrier often pulls the whole bumper cover off.

No argument they’re expensive. Mine was a real splurge, but it’s not just a one safety-trick pony. The saw itself is top-notch, especially when compared to the junk Ryobi jobsite saw I replaced with it.

The company will send you a new module for free if it was triggered by contact with a person’s skin. You only have to pay for a new one if you do dumb stuff like cutting metal or very wet wood without turning off the flesh sensor.

I went with it because even though I have a pretty serious approach to safety, so have a lot of 4-fingered woodworkers. :wink: I figure if the thing does save my finger, the price of the saw is a heck of a lot less than the price of an ER visit.

I do agree that trying to make it mandatory while holding on to the patents was pretty uncool, but at least they lost that initiative.

3 Likes

High school shop class, story was a guy cut a bit of his finger odd using a planer, back in class with a bandaged hand someone asked him how it happened, he showed them with his other hand, then back to the emergencey room :frowning:

3 Likes

If you do that and get in in a front-end accident, I think both party’s insurance companies might take issue with what you did

1 Like

And another Goof Ball idea from the Snowman :astonished: .

1 Like

I think you can legally put on some of those deer catchers. Lots of Jeeps and trucks as well as the Police have them.

No such modifications are permitted according to VOLVO and others. But a 6" lift kit or similar stupid modification is probably fine though.