Fragile bumper covers

+1
But, let us not forget that there are those who think that this type of requirement would be an example of The Nanny State.

Back in “the good old days” those who were run over would have “died like men”… whatever that means…
:smirk:

1 Like

[post withdrawn by author]

[quote="Whitey, post:62,
I’ll take a hard pass on that.

I am not crazy about the idea but after a a few inatentive people get hit I think it will come to pass.

I am not crazy about tht idea but I think it will come.

I am lucky enough to live in the middle of the woods in a very rural area with a long driveway I can just barley hear what few cars go by on the road when I am outside but am far enough off the not to be able to see them.

1 Like

Well I’m with @Whitey on this one. I’d have to walk around with a wire cutter in my pocket. I’d even go for a strobe light or something like the shopping cart machines have, but you can hear those alarms a block away.

1 Like

The beeping of a thousand delivery vehicles backing up would be a lot of noise pollution, passenger cars don’t need a loud warning device.

Toyota and Lexus hybrid vehicles since 2017 have a vehicle proximity alert tone to warn pedestrians and bicyclists, not as obnoxious as the garbage truck.

1 Like

It is I would not trade it for anything.

1 Like

And you want to put noise makers on all of the cars? How would that serve you?

I take it back maybe not a beeper but for the EV’s some kind of a noisemaker like maybe the sound of a muffler when in reverse I did not think it out all the way when I said beeper.

1 Like

Undoubtedly, but if a pedestrian had the misfortune to have been walking in back of one of those clueless drivers, that pedestrian could have been given an audible warning–and that is the intent of a backup beeper.

Without question, but those backup beepers were intended to warn pedestrians. If you were honking your horn and that clueless driver still hit your car, no electronic device would be able to improve his/her dangerous driving.

I took a stroll last night and it was a RAV4 crossing our path on a pedestrian walk, definitely a hybrid going in electric mode. It was audible enough to be detectable, but the “engine” sound was not exactly good in simulating the engine sound, it was quite artificial, yet clearly served the purpose.

Toyota pretends it is the engine sound… yet my Honda does not even go for that pretense and uses totally artificial “starglider battleship sound”, definitely a head-turner :slight_smile:

Still… beeping?
Not really sure it’s a good idea.

[quote STILL—beeping?
Not really sure it’s a good idea.

If you will check post 70 you will see that I changed my mind about the beeping I had a brain f+rt when I said that but I still say they need to make some kind of noise as all peolje are not paying attention to what is around them and usually have their minds elsewhere.

1 Like

Can’t you select the sound on a Mustang? I thought I read that. My favorite would be the sound of a 57 Ford or maybe the crackle from a Jag. So at the gas station they could just let it run in simulated engine sound instead of the woofers. (Now that was stupid. They wouldn’t be at a gas station except maybe for snacks.)

agree, and I recall “some kind of simulated noise” was supposed to be mandated from the certain model year (?)

1 Like

Japan started with electric vehicle warning sounds in 2010.

The United States;

The [U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued its final ruling in February 2018, and requires the device to emit warning sounds when travelling at speeds less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) with compliance by September 2020, but 50% of “quiet” vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019.

OK I’ll stop but it is Friday and the weekly Ammo Girl hilarious column as usual getting things wound up, but we used to put baseball cards or even balloons on out bikes to simulate a 57 Ford.

1 Like

Did you learn how to tighten spokes after enjoying the VROOOOM? Or was it a BUZZZ?

You make a good point. If I have a backup camera, to be used as a backup to my own senses, good. That would have helped me in the situation I described at the start of this thread, when I was backing up into a parking space against a wall, along which a shallow snow bank had built up. There reached a point where I couldn’t see the snow bank, because the top of it was at the level of my bumpers. A backup camera would have let me know I was getting too close.

But even with the backup camera, I prefer backing into those spaces and relying as much as I can on my eyesight. If I can pull forward into a second adjoining space in front of me, so much the better. I do that frequently. But that’s not an option for the employee parking spaces I use.

1 Like