Ford Ranger EDGE SuperCab Clutch Issue

I have a 5-speed transmission pickup (’04 Ford Ranger EDGE SuperCab). Clutch pedal feels “normal”, No resistance when shifting gears. Will go into gear with ease, except for 2nd gear (grinding noise), must push clutch to the floor and still grinds; but only 2nd gear. In 1st gear, my truck will slowly creep forward as if unable to engage and not having any kind of pulling power. Even when shifting to 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears, it barely maxes out at 30MPH (top speed unless vehicle is on a slope or slight decline then I can get up to and over 40MPH. Checked brake fluid level, it’s ok. The fluid’s at max. Clutch is relatively new (April 2014), with only about 13,000 miles on it, if that. It must be cylinder issue.

Is there any way to tell whether it’s the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder? All suggestions and knowledge welcome!!!

One of my guys suggests the 1/2 synchro rings, inside the trans.

...it barely maxes out at 30MPH (top speed unless vehicle is on a slope or slight decline then I can get up to and over 40MPH.

Is the engine revving up during all this? What is RPM doing?

How quickly do you move the lever from 1st to 2nd? If you were to move the shift lever to neutral and hesitate and then move “purposefully” to second will it grind?

And do you downshift through the gears as your speed decreases?

First of all, I want to say “Thank You” for all the insightful help for the issue I’m having at the moment. I was never a gearhead or mechanically inclined, but I have learned a few things over the years. I can honestly say, that I’ve come a long way.

@ ken green: will keep that in mind about the 1/2 synchro-rings inside the transmission.

@ insightful: The engine is revving/racing during this. The RPM’s are between 3k-4k. If I press the accelerator to much, there’s a grinding noise. Sounds like something is not catching or trying to catch and missing contact.

@ Rod Knox: 1st to 2nd gear? I shift around 20-25 mph. …shift lever to neutral and hesitate and then move “purposefully” to second will it grind? Yes. I tried a few different ways and 2nd gear will not grind when I’m coasting due to a constant increase in speed (not climbing some sort of incline that is). …downshift through the gears as your speed decreases? Sometimes. Sometimes, I will just place it in Neutral and apply brakes only like when coming to a light or a stop sign.

I will be taking it over to Junction Tire & Service in Mesa, and have them run a diagnostic.

Greetings ALL,
Turns out my clutch is still under warranty and has to go back to the other shop. With regards to Junction Tire & Service, they replaced the Ignition Coil (OBD displayed 2 misfire codes)…drum roll…$325. A clutch job with them would run me $1,250 ($495 labor).