Foglights come on mysteriously!?!?

My wife’s 2002 Chrysler P T Cruiser has recently developed a “ghost in the machine”! Her foglights come on, by themselves, leaving her w/ a dead battery. Would removing the bulbs remedy the problem of running down the battery? She doesn’t use the foglights anyway.

one post is sufficient

Well, the bulbs certainly can’t draw power if you remove them. However, it would be easier to pull the relay or fuse.

I suspect a bad fog light switch. Is it intregrated into the regular headlight switch in this car?

Pulling the relay is a better short term solution since the relay will draw some power also if it is in place.

Sorry. I had to correct the year of the car.

OK, if pulling the fuse is not the best solution, how does one pull the relay?

Once you locate the relay (look in your owner’s manual), you just pull it straight out.

Come to think of it, the relay could be the problem in the first place!

I’ve pulled the fuse w/ no problems since. I could not find the location of the relay switch, even w/ the help of the owner’s manual. Any clues as to where it may be hidden?

Possibly in a fuse/relay box under the hood. Sometimes located close to the battery.

If one is there, there should be a diagram of the fuses and relays on the bottom of the cover telling you what each controls.

The fusebox is located to the left of the steering column. I’ll check it for any diagram for relays tonight.

The relay diagrams will be in the relay box, which is probably under the hood. Your owner’s manual should tell you where the relay box is.

I had the same problem with my 2001 PT Cruiser. After I got estimates of several hundred dollars to fix it (I forget what the diagnosis was) I just pulled the fuse.

Its a common problem with the PT Cruiser. The multi function switch is the source of the problem. Link to the part http://ptboutique.com/items/pt-cruiser/pt-cruiser-parts/interior/mopar-interior/pt-cruiser-multifunction-switch-507304-ab-detail.htm