Adding foglights to a 2002 Grand Cherokee

Maybe its global warming, but lately I seem to live in the fog capital of the world, and am considering adding foglights to my 2002 GC Laredo. As near as I can determine, I would need to purchase a new multifunction switch (with the foglight option), and add a relay to the relay panel, and maybe a fuse–and of course the lights.

Am I missing anything? Is it safe to assume that the wiring is in place and reasonably likely to not be corroded or otherwise messed up? Is changing out a multifunction switch as easy as it seems?

Thanks.
Andy

Most auto parts stores offer a fog light wiring kit with a relay, dash-mounted switch, in-line fuses, and all the wiring and connectors to hook it all up. No need to spend too much to try and look factory. You may need to hack into a factory harness that way, and that will only lead to more troubles down the road.

If You’re Considering After Market Lights Then Consider Remote Controlled Fog Lights.

I have installed them on one of my vehicles a while back. The complete kit is relatively inexpensive and easy to install and won’t mess with the car’s wiring. You find a place to mount the lights and bolt them on (I found a place that already had holes I could use). Then run a hot wire with fuse holder from the battery to the lights and mount the little receiver under the hood. Put the remote fob inside the car and Voilà ! You’ll be farting through silk !

I believe mine were Pilot or some darn thing from Wal-Mart. The box says remote controlled.

CSA

+1 for both Busted Knuckles and CSA. I would not touch the multifunction switch.

+1 with BK and CSA.
That farting through silk sounds good too.

These Are What I Installed. I Still Have Them. I Removed Them From The Car Before I Sold It. I Will Get Around To Putting Them On Another One Sometime.

CSA

There is actually an advantage to using the wiring harness and hardware from the manufacturer; funtionality. I was considering installing fog lights on my own car and discovered that by using the manufacturer harness the fog lights would function in harmony with the headlights. The headlights turn off automatically after turning the car off, and the provided circuitry turns the fog lights off as well. In addition, physical installation of the lights themselves would be much, much easier. By not buying the manufactuter lights & lower grill, I committed myself to designing and constructing my own bracketry.

The tradeoff is the cost. The dealer’s parts departments get a fortune for the “kit”…in my case $365.

I chose to use the Scion underdash wiring harness and relay and aftermarket parts. And to design my own installation bracketry.

My dad added a fog light to his 1939 Chevrolet. It was wired through the ignition switch so it would go off when the key was turned off. There was a switch installed under the dashboard that turned the light on and off. We don’t have much fog in our area, so the light must have worked pretty well. The real reason for the light was that the headlights would go out for no apparent reason and then come back on. The mechanic couldn’t find the problem, so my dad had the foglight for emergency use. The headlight problem was finally traced to a loose connection at the dimmer switch.

I’ve always wired mine to go on only when the parking lights were lit. And used the switch as a cut-off. Bcs many of the cars I had would buzz if the parking lights were on and the ignition off.