Focus

SHIFT IS LOCKED…IS IT A FUSE?TAIL LIGHTS ARE WORKING…

IF ITS A FUSE WHICH ONE?

I AM MANUALLY OVERIDING LOCKED SHIFT NOW…

MKMAR1228, this is just not enough information. What vehicle, what history, when do symptoms occur, etc.

2002 FORD FOCUS…
AUTOMATIC…
WHEN I START CAR…AND TRY TAKE TAKE OUT OF PARK…THE BUTTON ON THE SHIFTER WILL NOT GO IN SO I CANNOT SHIFT INTO DRIVE.
I USE A SCEW DRIVER TO PUCH A MANUAL RELASE…
IT IS SUPPOSED TO RELEASE WHEN I START AND PUT MY FOOT ON THE BRAKE…A RELAY OR A FUSE…???// MANUAL SAYS…BRAKE LIGHT COULD BE OUT OR FUSE OR RELAY BLOWN.BUT WHICH FUSE?OR REALAY? HELP

Do the brake lights come on? If not, repair or replace the brake switch.

That is an interesting safety feature, you can’t put it in gear if the brake lights don’t work. what will they think of next?

BRAKE LIGHTS COME ON…HOW WOULD I KNOW WHAT FUSE IS FOR TH RELAY THAT MAKES RELASE WHEN I PRESS ON BRAKE…ANY FORD GUYS OPUT THERE?

Looks like whatever manual you are using is pretty much useless.

What you need are the Ford factory wiring diagrams.

Does the fuse list in your owners manual show a “shift lock actuator” fuse?

look in your owners manual. Fuse layout and identty locasted within.

First, TURN OFF THE DAMN CAPS LOCK SINCE NO ONE WANTS TO BE YELLED AT WHEN BEING ASKED FOR FREE ADVICE!!

Second, if you really want to know about fuses take a multimeter to the fuse box and test them for continuity - those nifty little holes on the back of the fuse let you do that without pulling them. Though, I suspect that this will do little good since I doubt that you need a fuse, and even if you did your real problem is figuring out how to find the fault that blew the fuse.

I suppose its worth poking around in the fuse box, but you’re just going to end up pulling the center console. When you get under there you’re going to find a sticky, gooey mess of crud from the 22 cups of soda and coffee that have been dumped on it over the last 8 years. Somewhere in that mess will be a little solenoid that moves the lever that lets you push that shift button. It and its wiring will be all gunked up. You may be able to clean it all. Or you might have to replace it. I can only guess about the gooey mess, of course, and about the problem being there. But if I were a betting man I’d take the bet.