Flagged post

The moderators can delete replies whether flagged or not. The flagging is only an alert for a moderator, not a requirement.

1 Like

Assuming the site guidelines are followed, everyone has an equal right to be here.

We may like or agree with some of the posts, and sometimes they can get annoying. But if that leads to criticizing the poster and not the posts, I wonā€™t hesitate to flag it.

I donā€™t know what is going on here but I come back and I have three messages for flagged and removed posts, yet no idea what posts. This is not normal.

2 Likes

Just got another removed. This is considered offensive?

I get the feeling that there are one or two members on a rampage. Never seen this in over 20 years.

Iā€™ve got a few ideas?

Couple of mine went, too, it was that off-topic discussion that needed a cleanup.

Yup, I notice same thing here. I click on the alert message, but it is missing. I recently discovered that if I click on it again, and again, sometimes an actual message will appear, telling me that my post was flagged and removed by a moderator. Also gives some sort of numeric ID which I presume matches to the thread number , but so far Iā€™ve never been able to use that to figure out which post or even which thread it was. Not complaining as I donā€™t need to know; just an observation.

Your comments might have been ā€˜orphanedā€™ - deleted because the comment or post to which you replied was deleted, either by mods or by the individual poster.

Click on your avatar (your name) in the upper right corner right below the red bar that has CarTalk, Buying Guides, Deals, Car Reviews, Repair Shops etc etcā€¦

On the far righthand column of the drop down menu, click the 4th icon down (looks like an envelope) for your Personal Messagesā€¦

Then on the far lefthand side of that drop down, click the envelope icon again for the message that you want to viewā€¦

If you do not click on the far lefthand envelope icon and only click on the wording: system Flagged post or system Post hidden, then all you will get is a blank messageā€¦

1 Like

Good info. I think the reason why sometimes before when Iā€™d sometimes see the message containing the reason, and sometimes just a blank message was b/c I wasnā€™t clicking on just the envelope. That differentiation is pretty unclear, imo that user-interface needs some improvement. I seem to be able to retrieve the messages now by making sure to click only on t the envelope, but they donā€™t always correspond to the message I click on for some reason. For example I just clicked on the first message, then when I clicked on the second the first message was retrieved again. So thereā€™s still a little confusion remaining. It may be the order of the messages gets changed when you click on one; if so, thereā€™s no way to tell that I can see, as the"post removed" messages (in the list on the left) have the same title and thereā€™s no time stamp shown.

1 Like

Iā€™ll disagree. No matter what I click on or how many times, itā€™s just bland. Saying the community has flagged and the post has been removed. The

lol , this issues seems to provide most abundant confusion ;)ā€¦ when I mention above about the ā€œblank messageā€, when that occurs it is really blank. Thereā€™s no info at all. e.g. nothing appears saying " the community has flagged it and the post has been removed". When I see a message saying " the community has flagged it and the post has been removed", thereā€™s usually also some indication of which post it was, but maybe not always. However I still sometimes just get the blank post with no info at all, even when clicking on the envelope. Probably part of the confusion. My guess is the way this function behaves is affected by the configuration of the screen at the time you do it; e.g. whether you are inside a thread, or just browsing the categories.

1 Like

Well I did take a look on my computer using chrome instead of the lap top using safari and no difference. I suspect it is a change in the monitors or software but the seem silent so far.

1 Like

When you receive a violation notice, click on the green banner ( this will likely result in a glitch ), then go back to the violation notice a second time; you should now see the reason for why you were flagged.

When I posted an image of a woman showing the middle finger salute, it was flagged ( though I knew it would have been as I seem to attract snipers ) and a green banner alerted me of my violation notice. I click on the envelop and the site glitched. So I went back to the main page, navigated the envelop again and clicked on it, and I was shown the reason.

Itā€™s hard to believe people like George and Bing get reported as both always are polite and respectful on this platform.

1 Like

Almost everyone will get reported eventually.

1 Like

Exactly: Just like at Rick Nelsonā€™s ā€œGarden Partyā€, for those who remember how that song went.

Heh heh. Off topic but I used to watch the Nelsonā€™s show all the time as a kid. I Couldnā€™t believe how far he had fallen from the teen idol.

I was referring to the line in the song, and how it applies to everyone getting posts reported on CT forums:

ā€œYou canā€™t please everyone, so
you got to please yourselfā€!

1 Like