Favorite license plates

California allowed ‘FAH Q’ until they figured it out. Wendy Auger, a New Hampshirite with children, had ‘PB4WEGO’. The state tried to get her to surrender it

1 Like

240Z lady had a good divorce lawyer I guess, saw it on the interstate, WASHISZ

1 Like

Seen on the back of a Kia Soul:

TOASTR

Never mind

1 Like

Best one I ever saw was many years ago, back when personalized plates first came out.

It was on a white Rabbit

IMLATE

2 Likes

Always thought MRNOT was funny, but the best one was DUUUHHH, saw it from a distance and was trying to catch up to read the plate, well when I got close enough… :rofl:

The most “graphic” license plate I ever saw was on a '68 Chevy Chevelle. The car was set up for Street Drag Racing: Super Charged Rat Engine, wheel wells cut out for the Headers, Traction Bars, barely street legal Slicks and it was owned and run by a woman. The license plate was “3M TA3”; you had to be looking at it in your rear view mirror… There were more graphic expressions concerning her and her car, but she ran for “Pink Slips” (not the type that represented ownership of the car), but the “Pink Slip” she wore… :partying_face:

On the lighter side… I worked with a guy who drove an extended passenger van with something like four-rows of seats. He had a large family, a really-large family, eight-kids… His license plate was “8 KIDS”. When his wife got pregnant again, he put a “+” (Plus Sign) on the plate. When she had the baby, he went to the DMV to get a new plate, “9 KIDS” and was disappointed to find out it was already in use… When I was reassigned (Air Force move), his wife was pregnant again, I never found out if he got a new plate “10 KIDS”… :couplekiss_man_woman:: :two_women_holding_hands: :couple: :two_men_holding_hands: :two_men_holding_hands:

I have 2 favorites.

1. Seen on a VW Bug - FEATURE. Very nerdy. It’s not a bug - It’s a feature.

2. Seen on an Infinity - NBYOND. Think Toy Story

1 Like

I just went through about an hour long ordeal with the local DMV getting my own personalized plate for my Bolt now that I bought out the lease.For reference, I’m a big Star Trek nerd so that played a big part of my choice.
The website and even the paper I filled out allowed for most number/letter combos to be entered. However, the computer at the DMV office said I MUST HAVE 4 letters in the plate. I had a total of 9 character spaces to use for my personalization, but was only able to use 7 total characters. I had to give 2 choices right off the bat so I put them in and no matter what he clerk put in, the computer kept telling them I needed 4 letters. She even thanked me for being so patient with them- I kept pointing out what the paper said I could use for choices, but computer said no go. Finally on the 4th choice, it took and I got my plate a week later in the mail.
1st choice: 1701 EV
2nd choice 1701 ET (electric truck/transportation)
3rd choice: NCC1701EV (my 9 character choice but I could only use 7)
4th/final choice: N17O1EV (the one that finally got accepted)
1 hour and $370 later I was finally finished getting my personalized license plate. My birthday is the 23rd of June, so I got my registration good through 2024 instead of just a month.
$35 for normal yearly registration, $50 extra for personalized plate, $200 extra for driving a full EV in Ohio. The remainder of the $370 was sales tax and prorated registration for the remaining month of this year before my birthday renewal

1 Like

I saw a Morris Minor in Santa Monica with the plate ‘MINORLV’ which sounded problematic.

I have een a lot of good ones over the years but the best one that I recall the most was on a station wagon in flordia that belonged to a childrens home the tag read BRATS.

1 Like

I got a few

2 Likes

Having seen some more License Plate Entries, one came to mind that really drew a lot of flak from the general public that ultimately forced the DMV to take away a Customized License Plate…

I’ve pasted in the original DMV Design that they posted on line. To its right is the plate but I have edited the word “SAMPLE” to show what had be approved by the DMV…

The plate’s message is “Kids First” and the customized message was “WEEAT” and the I guess the DMV did not “see the message” that it says, “We Eat Kids First…”

The DMV was notified that this plate offended some folk, the DMV notified the owners that they had 30-days to turn in the plates. The Folks notified that local News and that’s how we heard about it, it also was featured in the local newspaper and lots of other folks got involved in the right or wrong of the message. Personally, I think it’s funny and do not for a second think they really eat the kids, first, second, or last…

They lost the plates…

It reminds me of a billboard that was put up in Tucson, AZ. in 1998 or so. It was the brainchild of a health club and they wanted a humorous way to inspire folks to join the club… If you have ever watched the “Simpsons” on TV, they on occasion featured “octopus like space aliens…”

sompson

The Health Club put up a Billboard with Space Aliens like these but they were grabbing “large girth humans” with their tentacles, with the caption, “They’ll Eat the Fat Ones First…”

Well, some folks were likewise offended, raise a stink, got the news stations involved, and after a while, the health club stopped fighting it and took the billboard down…

The local paper did a follow-up article and the health club said all the publicity caused a lot of new members to join…

3 Likes

I used to see a plate that was TIVOOOM. Got the message when I saw it in the mirror.

3 Likes

That’s a reasonable compromise if you can only use 7 letters. I had to go through one of those gov’t required “choose whatever letters you want, but it better be what we say” routines recently when trying to obtain the balance on my Calif Covid-rebate debit card. You displayed more patience than I had. I called it quits at about the 40 minute point.

I had just came back into town after a trip to Columbus for a doctor appointment around 9am and had another appointment nearby at 11am, so I had time to kill. Plus it was kinda funny objectively looking at things, even while I was right there as it happened.

My favorite personal Calif DMV story, needed new license plates. DMV: “Which plate style?” Clerk shows me photos of two styles, one is blue on white background, the other is yellow on blue background. I point at the second, say: " the yellow one." DMV: “We only have these two.” I again say “the yellow one”. DMV, very puzzled, finally says “oh, do you mean the gold one?” … lol …

3 Likes

Heh heh, try signing up for the electronic social security service sometime. They ask trick questions like which one of these license plates was not yours? Going back a few years. Like I collect the old plates just in case? Or what year did you take out this credit card? I had to call them to find out. But I failed anyway and was instructed to appear at a local office to prove who I was. I’ll put it on the list sometime if I want to go for a drive. Signed the wife up no problem so maybe they were just trying to get me to appear for an old charge. Ya never know.

Just a heads up concerning the Social Security. The wife and I signed up social security quite a few years ago. I am two years older than the wife. We decided that I would not collect on my account until I hit 70 and let it build up. The wife decided to start collecting hers at 65 and I would collect on her account. What I collected under her policy was all gravy and it did not affect what I am now collecting under my policy.

We knew that by my wife taking it early, she would take a hit. What we did not realize was that the hit is for life…

Now that we are now on my social security, her amount is reduced by that hit…

Also, what we did not know was that even though I increased my social security by holding off until I was 70, if I die before the wife, the amount that she would collect would not be one-half of the increased amount by holding off until I was 70, but it is based on the amount I would have collected at “full-retirement age” at 66, and she will still have the “hit” from the early collection applied to her…

And the bring this back (with a stretch…) to an Automotive Topic, one of the “Driving” factors that the Social Security is in trouble is that elected officials have used it as their private “piggy bank…” to fund whatever they desired to put forth… But, even though the Social Security Trust Fund is projected to be depleted in 2033; it will not be insolvent or bankrupt because the our elected officials, our politicians, our trusted representatives, have issued bonds (promissory notes) that must be paid off by our children, grandchildren, and our forever progeny. And that is how it will keep paying, but with greatly reduced benefits and you will have to wait a lot longer before you reach “Full-Retirement Age…”

1 Like

Bruce Williams always said it was better to take a fast nickel than a slow dime. I had the chance to get out at 62 so I did it and just started ss. Never regretted it. Now my CPA BIL always said he was planning to wait until 70, but changed his mind and started at 65. My other BIL never got a chance to collect anything so you never know. Yeah there will be a big correction at some point. Can’t live off credit cards forever. Eventually ya gotta pay up… I think all told now every man woman and child is in the hole for around $200,000. Time for everyone to grow up. Thing is from the start everyone knew that the funding of ss was shakey with the next generation paying for the previous one, but hit the skids when the number of workers went down. Couple good books out there on fdr and the whole response to the depression. People wanted jobs not handouts and still do.

Oh gee, I can feel a flag coming.

1 Like