Extremely dissatisfied with new 2014 Honda Civic

What kind of car did you have before buying this “new” used Civic?

1 Like

pHi Triedaq!

Thank you again for lifting my s

We test drove a 2017 honda crv and know exactly what you mean, we ended up with a Rav4, I would think your decision now is can I live with it? We all get our levels of acceptance. We had new windows last year, vinyl guys came close to our 1918 wood trim, spent an extra couple grand for the perfect match in wood. I knew I would look at them every day and regret it. It is going to cost you to find a nicer ride, how much is it worth it to you. My suggestion would be forget it and keep on rolling.

The 2014 Honda Civic? Not true at all. Consumer Reports rates it much better than average for overall reliability.

What size tire is on the car? What brand and model? All that info and much more is on the sidewall of each tire.

I sympathize with you on this issue… there is nothing worse than feeling as though you made a terrible purchasing mistake. However in this instance the dealer is under no obligation in this matter, so I really would not go down that road.

However, that Civic has won so many awards in its lifetime this issue you are having is a bit shocking and it is NOT a trait that is attributed to this model, not at all. So something is awry here and probably awry on purpose due to modifications. @VDCdriver had an excellent piece of advice in mentioning the tire pressures…this can dramatically affect ride quality/harshness.

The other thing I wanted to mention was that this vehicle is the target of many “Young Bucks” desire to “Mod” the car…meaning to install all sorts of aftermarket parts and suspension is definitely one thing those guys go after to “improve” the car. In the process they may well indeed make mistakes or go for a suspension spring combination that is far to stiff.

If it were me, I would check those tire pressures and ask a local mechanic if the suspension was altered on this vehicle, should be easy for a mechanic to answer those questions for you with no trouble at all. It would go a long way into figuring this out. That Civic won Car of the Year so many times I cant recall how many awards that vehicle has aquired…methinks someone may have altered your suspension. Ask a mechanic to give you his opinion about it.

4 Likes

It’s also possible this car needs shocks. Old shocks can get stiff as well as soft.

I would also suggest you get someone else to drive the car. Maybe they will be able to help see if there are things that might be done to improve the ride.

If you have 15-inch wheels, then this is certainly the smallest size available, so you won’t be able to change anything here, unfortunately. We’re still waiting to hear what your tire pressure is.

1 Like

My suggestion would be stay with (or go back to) the original tire size and the original steel wheels - and be sure the next tires test out well for comfort.

I can almost guarantee that if you go to 16 or 17 inch wheels and tires you will be back here complaining that it did not help that much. Those wheels will have tires with less side wall than your 15 inch. Besides you say your funds are limited so that is a waste of money.

2 Likes

@OliviaVerde - regarding the “this comes with 15” tires" comment - did you get this number from the tire, or did somebody tell you this? The Civic could have had larger wheels (16" or 17") installed sometime during its life. Please let us know what size is listed on the side of the tire (make sure they’re all the same), and also let us know the make and model of tire (also listed on the side of the tire).

1 Like

It also depends on the car you are used to drive. Some cars are well isolated from the road, Honda Civic is not one of those. I have a civic, and when I drove a rental Opel Astra a few months ago, I first loved it – It was so smooth. After about 10 miles I started hating it – It was so smooth – It didn’t feel like driving, it was like sitting on a couch. I like to feel the road when I am driving, that’s why I like the Civic.

Do you know someone who might be used to a little rougher cars and who could take a test drive just to see if everything is as it should be? If it is still too rough, you might have the bearings checked.

[quote=“texases, post:36, topic:139123”]
It seems like you are depending on the car salesman for actual car information. They often know next to nothing about cars, but will tell you anything.
[/quote]It seems like you are depending on the car salesman for actual car information. They often know next to nothing about cars, but will tell you anything.
I have never done less than 30 minutes for a test drive. At least some city, highway, and hills (if available). Is there any chance the previous owner was a “Fast and Furious” boy racer who modified the car with performance suspension, wheels, and tires? If so, presenting it to you as a factory stock lease back would be fraud. Have it inspected by an independent (in no way connected to the dealership mechanic) for any performance enhancements.

If I told you how much I have to live on for the rest of my life,
in Los Angeles, you’d feel for me. $13,500 was more than wanted to
spend. but seemed to what I had, to get a decent used car. I sure
wish I’d had someone to talk me out of this car. :frowning: I have
learned a lesson, but I’m not giving up yet, on returning this
car. Thank you for the feedback.

What kind of car did you have previously? If you’re coming from something like a Crown Vic or something like an Avalon, then going to a smaller car will be a big change.

so, essentially dealer tells you they will buy it back for $9500 ?

I’ve checked http://kbb.com for 2014 Civic with mid-range options, and indeed, dealer trace-in is $9,400-$10,500 in my area

you can definitely sell it as “private party”, for more than that. KBB estimates $11,334 - $12,987 for private party sale in my area

not as good as $13,500, but better than not having to use the car

Olivia, if you sell the car today or in a few months your monetary loss will be about the same. Have you considered driving it for a while and see if you warm up to it and get these questions about tires and suspension answered logically?

The first time I drove my then new 1999 Civic on the freeway here in Duluth, I was aware of and a bit annoyed at the sound its front suspension made when going over tar strips. It sounded like a kickball being hit with a drum stick, and I felt like I would always be annoyed. Now, almost 20 years later, I like the car very much and believe it’s the best one I have owned up until now. I am aware of how well the car handles and don’t hear the sounds from the suspension.

Maybe different tires have made a difference, but getting used to the car and gaining confidence in it are part of it for sure. Few cars on the market have what it takes to work well and last long, economically, better than a Honda Civic.

Why won’t you tell us the tire size?

1 Like

This whole discussion reminds me of the post we had from the “Yaris Girl”, who bought the 2 door Hatch model instead of the 4 door model and did not like the choppy ride.

If Olivia had a more cushy car previously, I understand why she might be disappointed in the ride if her Civic. I went from a big Chevrolet Caprice to a Toyota Corolla when I stopped working and we were empty nesters. I appreciated the much better handling and easy parking that the Corolla provided.

Olivia should hang on to the car for a while yet. If she really wants something more comfortable, she car sell the Civic privately and buy another more cushy car. By that time she may actually like the Civic.

I don’t know what route you’re taking in that pursuit, but I can guarantee there is no incentive for the dealership to take the car back without selling you another car and taking the Civic as a trade-in. They’re not concerned with whether they sell you your next car, and they’re not worried about negative press. They’ve done nothing illegal, and from most perspectives, they’ve done nothing blatantly unethical other than say what it takes to sell a car.

The least expensive path out of this problem lies in objectively evaluating your options, perhaps by consulting with a certified financial planner.

I’m no fan of Suze Orman (particularly because she constantly shills products), but her first book, The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom, has an interesting discussion of how emotions influence our financial decisions, getting in the way of our ability to make smart objective choices. Maybe reading it will help you realize that how you feel about your purchase is stopping you from finding the best solution in terms of cost. One nugget of knowledge I got from that book is that paying a $100 fee employ a certified financial planner can save you thousands of dollars, which I’ve found to be true.

With that said, even if you don’t want to employ a CFP, I recommend you find an unbiased friend or relative who is educated in finance and budgeting who can help you evaluate your options objectively so you don’t waste time, energy, and emotional capital spinning your wheels.

1 Like

Buyer’s Remorse is a very real and extremely common ailment. It causes anxiety, worry, stress, self-doubt, and of course, remorse.

Time is the best antidote to treat this condition. Try some exercise (walking will work), breathe deeply and then try and relax so that clear thinking will return.

Easy for me to say, but you haven’t ruined your life. It’s not the end of world, lots of people have much bigger more important problems, and the sun will still come up in the morning! :sun_with_face:

Give it a few more sun rises :sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face:.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

2 Likes