2020 Honda Accord Sdn - Not what I hoped for - Gonna ditch it

2020accord touring with 22000 miles have had in the shop numerous times for sensor issues After hitting bumps in the road or potholes all sensors go out cruise control , etc . Also noticed gasket around top of windshield dry rotting and was told they would not warranty as they felt it was being chewed on by animals such as a cat or raccoon . Seats are not comfortable and for the price I am so sorry I bought this vehicle Now am being told there are 2 recalls that I never got information on . Will fix and sell

Thanks for the info. Good luck with your sale.

2 Likes

You’d need to supply the engine and transmission config for complete info, but for the 2Lturbo, I’m seeing a recall for the fuel tank, applies to certain vins. There’s a couple of service campaigns too, both for software updates. It’s possible some of the car’s symptoms might be eliminated w/ those updates installed.

Sorry you are having these sorts of difficulties on a fairly new car. New cars these days seem to have an unusual number of problems right out of the box, by the reports we get here anyway. It’s not one make/model, the problem seems to be the manufacturers are introducing complexity into the designs. Turbo engines, complicated emissions system w/associated bevy of sensors and actuators, electronic gadgets galore, well you get the idea. If you just want a car that gets you from point a to point b safely and reliably, sorry, combo doesn’t seem possible with new cars these days. Complexity is inversely proportional to reliability in other words.

I liked this post because a lot of posts have ongoing issues, and I always think, “Too bad that owner is not in a position to sell that one on.” Good luck. The Sonata Hybrid really impressed me during a recent test. Solar roof!

Why haven’t you proceeded with a Lemon Law complaint? It sounds like you might qualify for a buy-back, depending on the details of the LL statute in your state.

When you replace it, make sure that you take an extended test drive before buying. Many years ago I bought an Accord, and I finally decided that I couldn’t take the Sciatic pain that resulted from driving it for longer than 30 minutes. If I had taken a longer test drive, I might have been able to avoid that painful situation.

2 Likes

Do you know anyone who has successfully had a buy-back under the terms of state lemon law? It’s not as easy or simple as it seems.

My friend exacted a promise–in writing–from Toyota that they would buy-back his '05 Rav-4, but they requested that he give them one more try. He agreed because he liked the car–other than its tendency to stall–and they sent the Regional Service Supervisor and a Japanese engineer to the dealership.

After a couple of hours, those 2 guys were able to accomplish what had eluded the dealership on 3 prior attempts.
I believe that my friend still has that letter from Toyota, even though he traded the Rav in, in 2020.

A happy outcome, that’s what we hope for. It’s usually better for all parties when the customer and mfr can come to a conclusion on their own. Trying to get a buyback through state lemon laws is a bad deal for both parties, and even if a customer is able to get one, it turns out they probably don’t want it.

The process was surprisingly easy, but that could have been the result of my state’s very pro-consumer regulations. In some states, a consumer who is successful with a LL Complaint can only get a “comparable replacement vehicle”, but my state allows the consumer to choose between that offer and a full refund–including tax & registration fees. Naturally, my Demand Letter specified the full refund.

In total, I think it took no more than one month between the time that I drafted the Demand Letter, attached it to the state’s forms, mailed it to Toyota America–and then the successful repair on the 4th attempt.

Reading between the lines, I feel there may be more to the OP’s story than is being related.
:“All sensors” go out, cruise control, etc means what? Cruise only quits? That could point to something like a brake switch rubber pad indention.

Gasket dry rotting? That could be environmentally or chemically caused and being chewed on could likely mean rodents such as rats or mice. Not a warranty issue.

Seats are not comfortable. Same seats are in it now as on the day of purchase. Almost all seats are uncomfortable to me.

Two Recalls never got info on? Law says they must be in the public domain but there is no guarantee a car maker can ever contact the original owner due to ownership changes, address changes, and so on.
It would take a squad of private eyes using Skip Trace and a lot of footwork to track down every vehicle owner whose car was subject to Recalls; not to mention Campaigns or TSBs. Even then it could lead to a dead end.

I owned a Subaru (one owner before me) which had several outstanding Recalls and they were never performed as Subaru of America told me repeatedly my “car does not exist”. At the time I also worked for the Subaru dealer who sold it new to the original owner. Two weeks of this and SOA never budged an inch; and yes the warranty clerk entered the VIN correctly every time as I stood there and watched. Title and car VIN all matched also. Neither me nor the original owner ever received any notices on this.

1 Like

One recall applies to vehicles built before March 21, 2020, involves a BCM software update. This was likely performed during one of the service visits.

The second recall applies to hybrid vehicles, a software update to the Power Converter Unit.

Sell the car today or spend 4 months battling a lemon law case over sensor issues and discomfort?

I live in a pro-consumer state but a full refund including tax and registration is crazy. No pro-rata or mileage offset? Once you figure that in, most people won’t want the replacement or repurchase that they sought in the beginning.

That may be easier said than done. When I purchased my Corolla the dealership salesman at the time was reluctant to even allow me to test-drive the car a couple of miles on the freeway. The salesman’s concern I think is that test driving runs up the odometer, and if I don’t buy the car, the next buyer might balk b/c of the odometer reading.

In 1986 I bought a Taurus that had been on the lot for a long time. I used that to negotiate a very low price. Unfortunately the AC compressor started to leak. I took it back to the dealer and they didn’t fix it the first time. Next time they replaced all the gaskets but must have gotten grease on the compressor clutch. It squealed whenever it engaged. Back it went, a few times more. After the sixth failure to fix it I sent Ford a letter. They responded promptly and told me to take it back. When I checked in, the service advisor input my info into the computer and his eyes got as big as saucers. I could tell that Ford had informed the dealer that they were in deep trouble by that expression. This time they replaced the compressor, as I had requested several times before. I would not have gotten a full refund, but another, similar new Taurus at the dealer’s expense. Well, technically at Ford’s expense, but I’m pretty sure that Ford would have crammed it down the dealer’s throat.

That is because he realized he was assigned a customer that will produce a bad survey and he wasn’t going to get paid for the time he spent with you.

Two examples of vehicles that were not bought back. These things occur at many dealers once or twice a month.

There were no surveys in the 1980s. If there had been, dealer management and Ford would have known weeks before this time that I was a dissatisfied customer.

1 Like

Sorry you had that Ford issue. I’ve driven, maintained, & repaired Fords for 55+ years, never had any Ford Corp or Ford dealership related issues myself. On the + side in your case, maybe one of the reasons you take the time to post here is related to your Ford experience, so that’s a good thing imo. Others now have an opportunity to share your insight.

It was 36 years ago. I don’t think Ford issues I experienced are relevant today. The dealer is still in business and 4 Ford dealerships In MD and VA and 20 separate new car dealerships. Apparently their poor service in my case hasn’t hurt their growth.

1 Like

The issues that you stated don’t seem to be serious. No car is ever gonna be perfect. At this point, i think it comes down whether or not you willing to lose money and get something else. You do state the car is not very comfortable. Hey it’s a free country if you have the money get something else! I assume that the car is already paid off as your thinking about getting rid of it so early. Remember financing a car is one of the stupidest financial decisions you can ever make. but if you have the cash then get a new car!

Did you not read the persons posts . Yes they are serious and it has been in the shop a lot .

And just how many people do you know that can buy a vehicle new or used without financing .