Extreme cold temps

Hello All,

Is it normal for a modern engine to rev up to 3000 rpms when starting in extreme cold temperatures? I was always told to never over-rev the engine when it was cold. It seems that the colder the outside temperature, the higher the engine wants to rev at start-up. This always gives me fits every time I hear that engine immediately fire up to 3000 rpms when it’s -20 degrees outside. Also, another unrelated question…in extreme cold temps is the power steering supposed to feel heavy and difficult to turn the wheel until the engine warms up? I only notice this in subzero temps.

3000 seems high…but a engine when cold WILL raise the RPM’s…usually to about 1500.

. Also, another unrelated question…in extreme cold temps is the power steering supposed to feel heavy and difficult to turn the wheel until the engine warms up?

The linkage in the steering has grease in them…that grease at <0 temps get’s extremely thick…thus making it very difficult to turn the wheel.

The past few mornings when I get in my car, I do something similar to what you see Nascar drivers doing doing during a caution lap. I’ll swerve my car back and forth a few times to get the steering warmed up a bit. Since there isn’t any traffic in the area, I can do this, if you live in a busy part of town, then I dunno how to help ya.

It’s normal for an engine to rev up at point of start, but rpm will decrease in a second or two. Little strange about power steering, should be little harder to turn steering wheel.