Exhaust diameter on Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 V6 1998

Okay so, I’m new here so let me know if I’m doing anything wrong. I’m making this post for my father who owns a Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 V6 -98. We need a new muffler but since we can’t find any available parts where we live, we decided to cut the muffler and weld a pipe on it instead.
We also want to weld a resonated exhaust tip on it but we have no idea what the outer diameter of the pipe is?
Is it 2" or 2.25"? We tried to measure but can’t get a good measurement, does anyone happen to know the diameter?

Find a better way to measure it. Don’t accept a guess from random people on the internet.

1 Like

We don’t have a better way to measure it, we’ve tried. Unfortunately, the rust on the car isn’t making it easier to measure it.

No way to wrap a string around it, mark it, and measure the length? 2” OD = 6 1/4” circumference, 2 1/4” OD = 7” circumference (approximately).

But me, I’d take it to a good independent muffler shop and have them do this. Working on old rusty exhaust systems is a real pain.

2 Likes

I can’t understand why you can’t find a better method so… Then brute force it.

Go to your local auto parts store, buy an exhaust pipe coupler… one 2 inch ID and one 2.25 inch ID. Take it home and see which one fits. Note the diameter, take them both back for a refund, order your tips.

3 Likes

True, we might just dump it at the shop and have them figure it out. We also need to find a resonated exhaust tip that fits, which was the problem in the first place, we don’t know what size we need.
I don’t even think we have a shop that sells any exhaust tips since there are not many car shops where we live.
No harm in asking them first I guess.

No muffler shops where you live? Where is that?

It’s not even a country, we live on an island between Finland and Sweden. We have 2-4 car shops nearby and 90% of the time, you have to order parts.
Repairs and maintenance can be expensive here as well, which is why I wanted to buy the exhaust tip beforehand.
It would save us a lot of time and money to weld the pipe and the exhaust tip at the same time.

That is interesting.

For the US-spec 2.4L (the only engine we got in 1998 apparently). The inlet is 2 and 1/8 inches in diameter. The outlet is 2 and 1/4 inches. Probably doesn’t help you though.

No idea. Even if the service data could be found for that spec, might not apply to your 1998 Galant, b/c exhaust work may have been done before, esp likely in your climate.

Given you location, I understand your frustration. Normally w/that problem you’d just cut the pipe off, and measure it on the bench, or take it to the auto parts store. With any luck you’d have a new pipe installed the same day. Suggest to consider purchasing a measuring caliper for this sort of problem in the future. Google “caliper tool”, I see one there from Amazon for less than $10.

Something similar could be made in your workshop I suppose. Make a contraption out of scrap wood that looks like the letter “F”. Be sure all the angles are 90 degrees. Drill a hole through the top horizontal toward the bottom horizontal. Glue a nut over the hole, and run a corresponding bolt through the nut and hole. Now you can place this gadget over the pipe like it is an actual caliper, screw the bolt until it just touches, remove, and measure the distance w/a tape measure.