Erasing permanent marker--March 23rd show

In response to a caller’s question on March 23rd, the easiest way I’ve found to erase permanent marker is to draw over it with a dry erase marker (any color), then wipe it away before the dry erase “ink” dries (a few seconds). This works on a dry erase board or any other smooth surface, and might be safer than any generic solvent from a craft store (as Martha suggested).

i have found that the “magic erasers” are great for removing just about any unwanted surface stains from any hard surface. permanent marker off of the bumper of a S-10, easter egg dye off of the paint of a S-10, even hair dye from the door panel of a s-10 (don’t ask it was a dumb thing i did) you can use the high priced mr. clean one or a generic equal is just as good. they are also great for cleaning the grime off of the steering wheel and just about any hard surface they will render clean with little effort,

Alcohol. It cuts permanent marker immediately.

Then there are some that can be erased by rubbing cigarette ashes on them with a rag.

I have had very good luck with removing permanent marker with Lysol spray. I first discovered this using Lysol spray to wipe down dirty computers one of which the customer or his child had written on w/ permanent marker. Imagine my surprise when the permanent marker instantly vanished with a simplet spray and wipe

I too have often used dry erase mareker to remove permanent marker. It works great on any nonporous surface I’ve tried it on.

I have no idea why you were so delighted to have a convicted felon on your program (Martha Stewart), but come on your guys, your went to MIT and know the difference between a metal and its ion. The notion that Aluminum foil should never be placed next to food based on the discounted idea that Al(+3) has something to do with Alzheimer’s is about as stupid as suggesting that you should never eat common table salt because both free sodium and chlorine gas are poisonous.

Alzheimer

I’ve used gasoline to successfully remove permanent marker marks. In the future though I’ll try some of the above first, as gasoline is dangerous to work with, and it will quickly soften the clear coat and paint. You have to wash the area quickly with warm soap and water to remove the gasoline residue, otherwise, while you may have removed the marks, you’ll have peeling paint.

Alzheimer, just as an FYI, the guys have retired and anything on the show now is a rerun.

Bug & Tar Remover would probably work.

@mountainbike, don’t they still record the puzzler answers? The Crusty puzzler had a different winner than the original one from 1999. I think as long as they run the puzzler they have to at least record a new winner.

Regarding aluminum, I avoid aluminum antiperspirants. I believe it is bad for the brain.

I would not use the solvent suggested by M. Stewart. It will almost certainly damage the clearcoat. My solution takes more elbow grease, but won’t harm the clearcoat: Rub the marker with a fresh orange peel. Squeeze the peel as you rub, so the citrus oils can come out.

I add my vote to simple isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. It’s easy, cheap, safe, and it works. I believe the marker ink is in an alcohol-based solvent, so using alcohol to re-liquify it, then wiping it off is simple.

Two other solutions according to Wikipedia: Acetone or ethyl acetate (meaning, acetone-free) nail polish remover works, as does dry-erase marker board cleaner.