Engine swapping

Can I put a 1993 V6 Isuzu Trooper engine in a 1999 Isuzu Trooper that had a 4cyl?

If you have emissions testing in your state then it will never pass; completely different emissions systems, along with a number of other things.
It’s probably doable but it won’t be easy or quick.

I would hold off on that. Isuzu has just announced it is withdrawing from the North American market, and you may soon have an orphan on your hands. I would sell the truck, rather than try to re-power it.

Also, as others point out, the time for engine swaps were the pre-smog test days, and you will fail any emission test, even if the engine is clean. I had a Dodge Colt, according to the goverment records, but it said Plymouth on the car. The government insisted my car (Plymouth) did not exist. This is the kind of bureaucratic screwup you may get caught up in!

Isuzu is associated with GM. I wonder if GM will supply parts for Isuzu?

Speaking of Isuzu, I recall from a previous thread that diesel Isuzu engines can be installed in GM cars and trucks with a commercially available adapter kit. I wonder if this could be done with the Trooper? This would work well because GM continues to rebadge Isuzu trucks and GMC and Chevy trucks.

GM has ended its relationship with Isuzu where they built cars jointly in North America. As a result, Isuzu has no locally built cars to sell and it is too small to go it alone in this very conpetitive market.

The Chevette diesel was an Isuzu diesel made in Japan.

I believe Isuzu will continue to distribute their heavy trucks in the US. I don’t thing GM dealers have any interest in servicing or supplying parts for Isuzu cars or SUVs.

The same fate befell Daewoo, when it went under. Even though GM took over Daewoo, it refuses to service or supply parts for actual Daewoo built cars!

Chevette diesel? GM sold a Chevette diesel? Oh Lord!

To answer this question in detail you need to find someone very expert in Isuzus. You might find one here. If you don’t, try an Isuzu-specific board. Some swaps are easy and others are not. OK4450 is indicating that it is not all that practical.

Yes, and it was a better engine than the gas engine, but you needed a little patience to get from A to B.

GM sold it and the owners towed it everywhere. They flopped big in Northern Maine. They were worse than the Honda CVCC engines that wouldn’t start after 90,000 miles. The timing was too retarded for the cold.

It may be illegal to do this as you are tampering with the emissions. I have found that most shops will refuse to do this type of swap.