Engine rebuild questions

Honing. It wasn’t a warning and you can do it longer, but you have to clean it later so you decide. The malleable iron rings that you will probably get don’t need a lot of honing for break-in. They work better than the old hard types for that. Don’t handle them too strongly as they can bend the wrong way. My engine work was a lot better than my upholstery work. Those pistons I mentioned for the $350 Chevy were ten dollars each and the new rod was twenty-nine. I’d rather have a new mechanic rebuild an engine than work on his brakes… Those rings might have “TOP” printed on them. You have to skip some steps, so if you happen to see a seeping freeze plug, change that one.

Just had to come back on this one.
“Negative attitude”? A much better word is “reality”, which you apparently choose to ignore. And from someone who has a simple question about TDC?

I feel like the Roadrunner standing on the cliff watching the Coyote working on his next Acme project…

I commend your courage, but I have to agree with the others that if you’re tying to do this with time and money being critical it is not likely to end well. There are a whole lot of “red flags” here.

By the way, ok4450, I used to prefer barrel mics too when I could still see the lines! (just joking).

Let me offer an alternative, affordable suggestion. Give us a clear description of why you feel you need a rebuild and perhaps we can offer some alternatives. The truth is that even a tired engine can run for years burning some oil.

PLEASEDODGEVAN - Thank you for the honing and ring info - very helpful to know. I’ve been trying to get freeze plugs but AutoZone can’t order them anymore and Pepboys takes a week. I still have to stop at Kragen tomorrow, so I’ll see if they have them. Need the cup type. Got the sealant for them already. I may have to go to a machine shop for them. And good news - I may have a job! I’ll know on Monday!

And for the others who don’t want to read this long post (I sort of don’t blame you), I’m doing this because I have very little compression in one cylinder and unburnt gas is getting in my oil and being blown out through my PCV valve into my plenum where it pools at the bottom. And I have little money cuz have no job. I start work on her on Monday.

Thorough7:
You currently have $300 and a bad engine.
You will soon have $0 and a bad engine.

What is it you know that the rest of us don’t?

As I understand things from reading all the posts, the compression is down on one cylinder. Bad rings are rarely confined to a single cylinder. I would suggest doing a compression test. If one cylinder is bad, squirt some oil in this cylinder and see if the compression comes up. If it does, then you do have bad rings on this cylinder. If the compression doesn’t come up, then there is a valve problem unless the piston has a hole in it.

At any rate, I think you might start by removing the cylinder head. From there, you should be able to tell if the valves are the problem. Since there is a time and money issue, maybe having the valves ground may make the car driveable.

IMHO, anything different than a professional rebuild which involves removing the engine, or a remanufactured engine is just a patch. I wouldn’t do any more patching than is necessary. The patch may get you through a year. If the new job comes through, you can re-evaluate as to whether you want to replace or rebuild the engine or replace the car.

Some old parts places have freese plugs by size in a plastic drawer chest, not in sets. NAPA comes to mind. Check yours for the size which may be stamped on them.

Good For you!! I am also female and rebuilding my 1990 Ford Mustant 5.0. I am having help and I have read the previous responses - all of which are good. I even gave up my acrylic nails by cleanin the parts in the “purple stuff” which for a better engine is not a big deal. I had the block and the heads taken to a place that cleans them and then had to have 2 cylinders re-bored because of being out-of-round and that let to all sorts of things. I admire and support you in your endevor but having help - be the electronic suggestions and ideas or the physical - moving heavy things are not bad either. I wish you all the success for you and your car. Will let you know how mine comes out next week.