Engine miss

Before I take my car to a mechanic, what seem to be the possibilities accounting for this issue?

I drove in 70 degree weather for about an hour on a freeway, at 70 mph. Pulled into a rest area for 10 minutes, then started out again. On gaining speed on the on-ramp, the engine started missing. This is a V6 and I wondered if maybe two cylinders were not firing. I was able to get up to 60 mph and held that until leaving the freeway about 3 miles distant. There were no warning lights on the dash.

On dropping down to 30 mph and pulling into a gas station I stopped and left the engine running, got out and looked and listened for anything unusual. Nothing. I resumed my trip, the rest on 2-lane roads, about 50 miles. There was no repeat of this unusual missing.

The car has 36,000 miles on it. Never any problems at all before. What are the things a mechanic should look for: plugs, points, injectors? I don’t want to have this occur again, farther from potential help.

We don’t know what year Solara you have.

If it has the standard computer connection, you should check to see if it has stored any error codes.

When was the last time the plugs and wires changed?