Ignition problem?

My 1989 Toyota Camry (180,000 miles) has recently become unreliable. Once in a while it simply will not start. It acts like its out of gas. Turns over great but does not fire at all. I open the hood move a few wires near the Distributer, slam the hood and it starts like it always has. I also notice a severe missing on humid days when I accelerate, not always but sometimes. Then after a time or two its runs good again. What do you think?

When was the last time a complete tune-up was performed on the engine? This would include the distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, and possibly the coil. If you don’t know or can’t remember when the last time these components were replaced, it would be a good place to start. Because all the symtoms you describe point to worn out secondary ignition components.

Tester

I think you need new spark plug wires, and probably a distributor cap and rotor. Missing on humid days is a classic sign of old, cracked, worn out spark plug wires.

My guess is the car needs a few other things, because you ignore it, but that’s beside the point.

Have the cap, rotor, and wires replaced, or do it yourself (the parts are cheap). Then see if it doesn’t start more reliably.

That sure sounds like it is time for plugs wire etc.