Engine knocking when its cold

That just sounds like lifter noise. What weight oil are you using, and is it the right winter weight? Worse case, replace lifter. Don’t worry about it. Not a big deal.

No one suggest this yet…I had a very hard time hearing the noise. But it could be exhaust manifold gasket. As the exhaust manifold warms it expands and closes any gap between manifold and head thus the noise goes away.

2 Likes

I can’t run the video clip (blockers on this computer), but if this is the 2.4L with vvti, there is a common knocking or rattling on cold startup which is caused by the VVT cam gear. There’s a pin in there that wears out and lets the oil pressure bleed out after you shut it down. The oil pressure has to come up again before the gear locks in and the rattling stops. If this is what you’re experiencing, there’s really a few things you can do - replace the cam gear (expensive), ignore it (it’s not likely to result in a blown engine or anything like that), or install a prelube system (probably $300). Not saying that’s the problem, but that’s a common issue on those engines.

I use 10 40 oil always

I should replace the manifold?

The gear is manuall not automate

Without looking up your owner’s manual, I can say with 99% confidence that this is the wrong oil, and it may be the cause of the noise. Find out what oil is recommended and use only that.

4 Likes

What is your normal temperature there?

Transmission shouldn’t matter - these are on the engine valves.

Who is agree with this?

15 to 35. But right now is 5

What do you recommend?

If you are asking about what weight oil to use that will be in your manual . Also you need not reply to each person as all of your posts are seen .

2 Likes

A good mechanic should be able to tell you if that’s the problem (or what the problem actually is). Don’t just throw parts at the problem in a hope to solve it.

2 Likes

At 5* I would recommend that the lightest oil available is used.

I think the temps the OP cites are in Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

In either case, the carmaker’s recommended oil is the one to use. For a 2007 car, 5W20 was very common.

Agreed. Given where his video was posted from, it’s very likely 5 degrees C.

For oil weight, that car called for:

GRADE: API grade SL Energy-Conserving or ILSAC multigrade engine oil
4-Cyl: RECOMMENDED OIL VISCOSITY: SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20
6-Cyl: RECOMMENDED OIL VISCOSITY: SAE 5W-30.

I have confused. Is it really hard to figure out my car problem?. I hoped here I can find it

It’s almost impossible to diagnose a vehicle over the internet. You need to bring it to a trusted mechanic.

2 Likes

Yes it is hard to solve vehicle problems over the web . It seems you are using the wrong oil and your engine just may be worn out . This thread is 27 days old and it has not made any progress . You are confused and so are the people here . I suspect English is not your primary language . Some times a person just has to find a good shop and pay to find the problem then decide it they want to spend the money.