Engine knocking when its cold

How oil level can help for this problem?

I see different answers for this problem

• use a can of restore
  • put another engine
  • keep the oil level up and use different oil filter
  • problem in cam follower
  • use a can of STP
  • use Hydroxychloroquine
  • use sodium silicate added to the crankcase

So which I should try?

I didnā€™t hear a knock in that audio, perhaps some top end noise.

That is because most people here are not qualified to lift a hood.

Top engine noise is not an immediate concern. You might be experiencing valve train noise that may continue for the next ten years.

Replacing the engine may result in quieter operation.

The use of Hydroxychloroquine is a jab on the president and has no place in an auto repair forum.

The use of sodium silicate will cause your engine to fail in minutes, this is not a repair option.

These foolish replies are a reason to have a moderator on this forum.

2 Likes

I respectfully suggest that your sarcasm detector needs a tune-up.
:wink:

4 Likes

What cave does one live in to not know what Hydroxychloroquine is ?

3 Likes

Isnā€™t it the cure-all for everything.

4 Likes

The final answer: itā€™s time to take the car on a one-way ride to the junkyard

4 Likes

It helped with smoking, my car burns less than quart every 1000 miles now, and Iā€™m down to a quarter pack of Marlboros a day. I also toss in a dose into my septic system once a week, keeps everything operating at peak effectiveness*.

*Iā€™m joking of course.

2 Likes

Not this one. Itā€™s been OK for 4 years with this sound that occurs for a short time in a narrow RPM range when cold. Piston slap? Valve train noise? Many engines are like this and last for years with only normal maintenance or even less.

Yes, but it seems to be causing the OP considerable anxiety. Lifeā€™s too short to drive a car that causes you anxiety.

Good point, worth considering. Still, itā€™s probably got some life in it - itā€™s been like this for years - and how many 2007 cars are likely to be more reliable than a Camry?

Maybe a cure for anxiety is to donate it (to local public radio?) or sell it for a song, as is, to someone whoā€™s in need - replacing angst with a warm feeling from having done a good deed.

Of course, then they may need to buy a different car, with the stresses involved in that whole affair. Choose your anxiety?

@old_mopar_guy and @VDCdriver since @ate6810_173233 would like to keep his car and seems to want to know how to limit the noise, it doesnā€™t seem the jokes are helping.

This eng doesnā€™t have mechanical lifters. Then they must be hydraulic which leads me to believe the lifters are kaput. They pump up eventually but leak down when the eng cools off. Bottom end should have turned a bearing by now and would be banging like hell, worse with high rpms. The way it quiets down Iā€™d suspect lifters. Stethoscope the rocker covers, take them off and have a look see.

1 Like

I would guess lifter noise. My advice is first make sure you are using the correct weight oil. Then I would try an old standard marvel misery oil with a fresh oil change. The good news is that it goes away when it warms up. and it has been doing it for years. unless you want to spend a lot of money on it i would just drive it and do the old used car dealer trick, just turn up the radio till it warms up:)

1 Like

Iā€™d like to add mor information that maybe helpful.
In RPM 1K TO 1.5K I also hear rattling noise in low gear regardless of engine is warm or not. I know rattling noise in low gear is normal but for this car is abnormal and I hear most of the time. I tryied same car but they did not have rattling noise with the same driving

No, it is not normal, unfortunately.

2 Likes

The OP never says which engine it is. I checked my FSM and both the 4cyl. (2AZ-FE) and the 6 cyl. (1MZ-FE) have solid lifters adjusted with shims, not hydraulic lifters. OTOH it might even be an engine not offered in the U.S. because I donā€™t think the Camry GL was offered in the U.S.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow-up. I have an '02 4 banger myself. I believe the OP uploaded a video and I believe I jumped to the conclusion that it looked like a 4, nevertheless no difference as far as the lifters are concerned.
GL Camry, would it make sense cost/benefit wise to offer a different head for the same eng.
I guess unless you ran into something like this before it would very hard to troubleshoot at distance by virtue of a forum. Iā€™ve had noises I tracked to alternator pulley and power steering pump s, good luck OP.

Long shot, but make sure the vibration dampener is not loose.