Engine drained refilled with ATF

@circuitsmith : OMS == odorless mineral spirts.

Here is an article that explains it. http://www.drivelinenews.com/transmission-insight/friction-modifiers-in-automatic-transmissions/ The pressure applied to a rod bearing when a cylinder fires has to be much greater than the pressures applied to the bearings in a transmission. Obviously there are no clutches in the engine. When you put transmission fluid in the engine you are also adding friction increasing modifiers. As I said in my first post I don’t know if this would be a problem. Transmission fluid formulation is very complicated. (Sorry - it’s been a while since I did a copy & paste.)

Everybody agrees that if transmission fluid was put into the engine instead of oil, and the vehicle was driven a short period of time, all that needs to be done is change the oil and filter.

It’s just 10 weight oil with a slaightly different formulation.

It’s probably been changed by now.

Tester

The mistake was done at a GM dealership. They need to immediately do a proper oil change and another one at 100 miles FREE! Ensure you have documentation of the mistake.

@GeorgeSanJose‌
Using AFT fluid for a bike chain lube is no different then using motor oil or other car gear lube. They should all be avoided if dust is a concern, which is like, always. They end up being quite dirty and can increase wear compared to wax or Teflon based oils designed for it. Their exposed use is in a much different environment then that use for an enclosed timing chain in a car for example and their properties needed are miles apart. That’s why you change your motor oil more frequently in dusty environments. Holding too much abrasive particulates in suspension can increase wear and friction.

Car lubes are way over kill and good bike chain lubes at quite watery as cleanliness is the biggest concern, not actual lubrication qualities. Road gear heads that use these concoctions should try to do more research on the topic. Bike riding and maintenance bicyclists have their own group “don’t read manuals” fanatics as car people do …but their legs get a better work out doing such things and bike chains are cheap and dirty grease stains on your legs can be washed off. So it’s no big deal.

I agree with @mytwocents and would flush the system with a couple of oil changes in a car over less then then 500 miles at the dealer’s expense. Not because AFT is a poor lube over a very short time, it isn’t; but I would be concerned with the additives used compromising those in motor oil. I wonder too what it might do in the catalytic converter when it finds it’s way there too as are all motor oils can. Some kind of a written warranty should be in order.