ATF in motor oil

Accidentally added about 4 tblsp to my motor oil , and I’m concerned if I should be able to run it or to have it sit till oil change

That tiny amount should have no affect. But are you sure that’s how much you added?

This will not be at all problematic.
All that you have done is to add an extremely miniscule amount of 10-weight oil to your engine’s crankcase. Simply drive on–with confidence–until your next scheduled oil change. Of course, you will still need to check your dipstick periodically until then…

I poured a bit and noticed it was ATF and stopped so I would think it was only a little

Four tablespoons is 2 ounces or 1/16 of a quart. Drive on!

Sweet thanks

As others said there is.no problem. myself and many others have for years replaced 1 quart of oil with ATF for various reasons and I have ever seen or heard of a problem resulting after hundreds of thousands of miles.

1 Like

ATF is a high quality, thin lubricating oil. Although it does not have all the additives of motor oil, it is harmless in small amounts.

I have to ask…
How the heck did you add 4 tablespoons of ATF to your oil???

I’m not criticizing, but that’s an unusual enough thing to have piqued my curiosity. I have an enquiring mind.

You know when your half asleep and you check your oil yeah I grabbed wrong one

Keep the oil topped off at the full mark on the dipstick until the next oil/filter change. Should be ok.

Back in the 60s I knew two guys that always added a quart of transmission fluid when changing their oil to keep the rings and lifters free. Since both of these guys lived lives that were always “a day late and a dollar short” , no one paid any attention to their advice.

By the way…
Welcome back, mountainbike.
We have missed you for the past couple of weeks!

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sincere thanks. :slightly_smiling_face: