Emmissions

just bought a 2007 Honda civic-having a problem with passing the readiness results.

And…?

And when will it be ready?

Sounds like someone has re-set the OBD-II system, cleared the codes and turned off the CEL…You may have to drive the car for a while (100 miles or so) before the system is ready to be tested. Some of that driving needs to be at highway speed, some urban driving…

A 2007 model should still have full emissions warranty coverage should that pesky CEL come on.

Imagine walking up to a perfect stranger and saying:
“just bought a 2007 Honda civic-having a problem with passing the readiness results.”

That’s what you just did - except you just sort of walked into a group of strangers.

You just bought a car from where? Was it from a dealer? They should give it to you with a nice fresh inspection sticker and an OBD system that is “ready.” If it was a dealer I’d make it their problem.

You can also try this: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_reset_the_drive_cycle_on_the_OBDII_computer_on_a_honda_civic

Note that when you are first starting up the car or just turning the key to on the check engine light will probably flash before turning off if the readiness monitors are not yet set. Once the check engine light just comes on briefly and then back off without flashing your “readiness” is probably in order.

Thanks Caddyman. I had no idea what “Readyness results” were. At least now I understand the OP’s question.