Emergency brake light stays on

Even after releasing my emergency brake, the warning light on the control panel stays on almost all the time.

Any thoughts on why and/or how to fix this?

The same light is usually used to warn of low brake fluid and the parking brake on. So check the fluid level. If not, you may have a parking cable that is sticking and needs lube.

Bing is correct. I suggest that you check your brake fluid level immediately. If it is below the “full mark” on the master cylinder, refill with the type of brake fluid that is specified in your Owner’s Manual.

You should be aware that a drop in brake fluid level is due to only two factors–wear of the brake pads or a leak in the brake hydraulic system. So, after filling the master cylinder, I strongly suggest that you take the car to a competent mechanic (Note: This does NOT include Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, Discount Tire, or any other chain operation) for an examination of the brake pads and to see if there is a leak anywhere in the system.

If it turns out that your brake fluid level is normal, then the other possibility is a sticking brake cable–as Bing suggested.

Incidentally, when a warning light pops up on your dashboard, it is a good idea to see what the Owner’s Manual has to say regarding that light. If you had done that, it would have advised you to check your brake fluid, as Bing and I suggested. Those who fail to read the Owner’s Manual invariably come to regret it.