Electric Car Conversion

In a recent issue of “Home Power” magazine (Issue #133 Oct/Nov 2009)there is a GREAT article by a fellow in Washington state who converted a 2002 Toyota Echo to a 100% plug-in electric car. The entire projects cost including the car was $24,000 NOT including his own considerable labor. The car uses 13 AGM golf-cart size 12V lead-acid batteries and has regenerative braking…The builder is very proud of his creation even with its 30 mile range and 70 mph top speed…Most of the parts needed are available online. The car retains the original 5-speed tranny and clutch and it must be shifted to obtain decent performance with the 150 volt AC electric motor…Curb weight is 2900 pounds, the Echo’s maximum GVW…

This article is an interesting read…

I’ve always wanted to do that. (I guess you have a hard copy and no net link for this?)

So if a person is drving the car, it’s already exceeding the GVWR. A lawsuit waiting to happen IMHO. Maybe an interesting engineering exercise, but not practical.

A 30 mile range won’t get me to work and back, I can buy a LOT of gas for $24,000, and I doubt the car could be legally registered in many states.

With a driver and passengers it’s over the GVW limit.

A fun project, I’m sure, but not very practical or cost-effective.

At $24,000 plus whatever his time is worth makes no practical, economic or environmental sense whatsoever. A bit like building an experimental airplane in your garage.

Twotone

It must be nice to have $24,000 burning a hole in your pocket to spend on things like this.

I wonder how many starving third world children can be fed and immunized for $24,000. Not to say you made the wrong choice. It’s your money.

While it would be impossible to argue that it’s a cost-effective or technologically groundbreaking project, I think it’s cool to do stuff like this. I commend the guy for exploring electric conversion as an alternative. I’ll bet he learned a great deal by doing this also.

Here is the link, To read the full article you must sign up as a member…

http://homepower.com/article/?file=HP133_pg96_Brooks

I use ‘sneak mail’ email addresses for all these places that want my email address. Not much harm from a email (if you don’t open it) but still they don’t need my email address.

It’s A 40 Mile Round Trip To The Country Club. Is There A Way To Stretch A 30 Mile Range To 40 ? Would It Recharge During An 18 Hole Round Or Would I Have To Lay Over And Come Home The Next Day ?

Depending on what an “Echo” vehicle looks like this thing could have possibilities on the course if tricked out with floatation tires that meet the approval of the greenskeeper.

I agree with others that at this stage of the game it’s not practical and waste of money. This thing is a 70 mph golf cart. There are plenty of street legal golf carts on the market for far less money.

http://www.carrollshelbymerchandise.com/image_resize.php?the_file=/images/sporting_goods/GT500CART-1-W.jpg&width=154&height=Carroll Shelby GT 500 Street Legal Golf Cart

CSA

Bump

I wonder how many starving third world children can be fed and immunized for $24,000.

That’s one h*ll of an assumption. I have a brother-in-law who easily spends that much every couple of years on fixing up some old car…he also gives more to the poor every year then you make or have EVER made in a year.

What assumption would you be talking about? I didn’t assume anything.

Why do you seem to have it out for me? What did I ever do to you to start taking offense at things I haven’t said, or even implied?

It must be nice to have $24,000 burning a hole in your pocket to spend on things like this.

I wonder how many starving third world children can be fed and immunized for $24,000.

Tell me why you made such a statement to someone you don’t even know.

Tell me why you made such a statement to someone you don’t even know.

It’s an idea I wanted to express. That is why I wrote it.

You are obviously trying to read in between the lines. Pick on someone else and lay off the wacky tobacco.

You conveniently left out where I wrote, “Not to say you made the wrong choice. It’s your money.”