EKG Monitor hasn't kicked in

I’m trying to figure out how to make my EKG monitor kick in to pass smog. The deadline was, well, today, and I’ve been driving my car A LOT in the past 1.5 months to try to make it show up. The people that did the original repair work have been really kind but ultimately don’t know what to say besides “just drive it more! Maybe another 50 miles!” Same with the smog place. Same with the dealership. It’s a 2000 chevy malibu. This thing where the monitor just fails to show up doesn’t seem to have any real fixes that I’ve found, besides some creative techniques for driving like taking the car from a full stop to 50 mph and cruising for 3 minutes and then doing it again…which I did this weekend. But maybe I need to keep trying different/other specific driving things?

Basically I’d like to know if there’s anything I didn’t consider here, because I’m not really sure what to do next. I would feel silly taking it to a different car repair place knowing they would likely just repeat the advice to drive it more. I would also feel silly getting a new car when this one is working perfectly and I just put a decent chunk of change in it to fix some things to make it pass smog (which cleared the monitor codes in the first place). So like, does anyone know some actionable items I can do with this thing that isn’t supposed to be happening but is totally happening?

EKG monitor?

Don’t you mean EGR monitor?

Tester

1 Like

[quote=“ericakenney, post:1, topic:95635”]
[/quote]EKG? “So like” in print? It’s ignore for me. Sorry.

An EKG is an electrocardiogram. I had them when I had my heart attacks and for testing after the fact. I failed. With the slightest stress, what’s left of my heart goes into overdrive.

Your EGR system, if that’s what you’re referring to, consists of a solenoid operated valve that opens when your engine is under stress and allows a wee bit of inert exhaust gas to be drawn into the engine to keep the cylinder temps from getting too hot and causing excess NOx and possible undesired combustion initiation. Like pinging or knocking. The valve can become fouled from carbon deposits, and perhaps those making these suggestions were hoping the highway driving would burn the carbon off. It won’t. If the valve is carboned up, it needs to be cleaned or replaced.

HOWEVER, I don’t know from the information provided if this is your actual problem, but your 2000 Chebby has an onboard diagnostic system that, if you’ll post the fault codes from the car’s computer, might help us do a better diagnosis. Someone you’ve taken the car to so far must have written the fault codes on the shop order. Post them here and we’ll try to help. Otherwise, all I can suggest is to change the valve/solenoid assembly and hope for the best. I’ve provided a link for your enjoyment. Carid is a reputable source.
https://www.carid.com/2000-chevy-malibu-emissions-parts/standard-tru-tech-egr-valve-23777908.html

did you get a pulse or heartbeat?

3 Likes

If you’re asking me, as soon as they turned the treadmill on for the echocardiogram my heart raced out of control. The test had to be aborted immediately.

If that’s a humorous comment to the OP, it’s a good one. :smile:

2 Likes

Is the EGR monitor (if that’s what the OP is referring to) the only one not ready? If so, you should still pass the smog test unless your state has more stringent rules than the EPA guidelines, which would allow 2 non-ready monitors in a 2000 vehicle. That’s my understanding, anyway.

2 Likes

Suggest to visit a dealership shop when they aren’t busy, and perhaps they’ll print out what you have to do to cause than monitor to complete. Note that if someone reads the diagnostic codes or the battery power is cut off from the computer (like if you remove the battery), that will reset the monitor and it may/will have to go through the process again. It’s possible the battery power to the computer is getting interrupted for some reason, and that’s constantly resetting the monitor so it has to keep going through the init process, which it never completes b/c the power gets interrupted again.