Dying car

I have a 2002 Chevy Malibu. Any time I try to go up hill, or have to accelerate quickly it bogs down and feels like it wants to die. I’ve replaced the spark plugs and wires. My check engine light came on and told me to replace the EGR valve, which I did and I’m still having problems. Any suggestionts?

My check engine light came on and told me to replace the EGR valve, which I did and I’m still having problems. Any suggestionts?

No it did not tell you to replace the EGR valve. It said something like “P1234” That code indicates that some sensor is reporting an unusual measurement and it appears to involve the EGR valve.

Find out what the actual code was (or stop by an auto parts store that can read the codes for you; many will do it for free) and post the actual code back here.

When you add a message to this tread with the code, also let us know how many miles you have on your Malibu and any other interesting things about your car, even if you don’t think they are connected. Then maybe we can give some better suggestions.

the code was P0404 I believe.
there’s 100660 miles on the car

Have you ever changed the FUEL FILTER??

No

will-i-am, delete “dying car 2”, and add any new information here, to your original “dying car”. It would save a lot of confusion, if you did.

So, now, you have replaced the fuel filter and the EGR valve, spark plugs and wires, and the car is still having problems. WHAT are the problems----besides the trouble code P0404, and bogging down during acceleration and hill climbing?

caytilac converter is stopped up.

ok. How can will-i-am verify a stopped up catalytic converter assumption? I’m sure, that will-i-am would like to know.

ADDED LATER: Well, it’s a day later, and no word from will-i-am. I must have been wrong about his interest. Oh, well.