Driver's seat headrest - UGH!

Hey, your in Florida, @Mustangman. Their backs are sunburned.

1 Like

LOL! Sunburned! I never thought of that! :smile:

Maybe it is due to thinking it is a natural sitting position related to a smartphone. Had 6 summer seasonals, they all sat that way during lunch while on their smartphone.

Hmmm… I had to read that twice. When I saw 6 summer seasonals, I pictured a six pack of a good saison beer. :beer:

It is not relating to my scottish ale homebrew with added peat smoked malt as my twist, it was relating to the hunchneck posture of kids on their smartphones.

You forgot left arm draped over top of the steering wheel. That’s what I thought was being discussed.

To satisfy my curiosity I removed the driver’s seat headrest from my 2010 Kia Forte. Recline seatback for vertical clearance. Press detent button. Remove headrest. I did not try turning it around as it works fine for me as is.

That’s what I thought you meant, @Barkydog, but I had to read it twice to get it. I like my version, though, and your ale sounds like a great drink.

I may be the only one dumb enuf to not figure it out right away but when i got my f150 the headrests were too far forward for my liking. I fiddled with them and couldn’t get them to move. Then I mentioned it to a co worker and he pulled one all the way forward and let go, it sprang all the way back. Duh. Then pull it forward to the right spot.

Did you look in the owner’s manual?

Capture5

2 Likes

Hyundai makes accessing their owner’s manuals very cumbersome.
Check out this youtube video, perhaps the Sonata is the same…

Reading about this issue, and and having experienced it in my fiancee’s car (a Hyundai), and my mother’s car (a Volkswagen) makes me love my 19-year-old beater and my motorcycle all the more, and makes me dread the day I have to buy another automobile.

I hope the lesson you learn from this is to take longer test drives, like the ones where the dealership lets you take the car home for the weekend to try it out. Not all dealerships will let you do this, especially with new vehicles, but it’s worth finding one that will let you do it, even if that means shopping for a used 1-2 year-old vehicle instead of new.

I’d offer some helpful suggestions, but I can’t think of any that are better than the ones that have already been offered.

1 Like

+1
However, you forgot to add “with a death grip on the steering wheel and a very worried look on their faces”.

I am of the belief that people who are very insecure about their driving have a tendency to lean forward while they drive. Those who are more confident, and more relaxed behind the wheel, don’t seem to have an innate need to do this.
:thinking:

1 Like

My Honda Odyssey is the same way! See if this might be helpful… travelbuddyposture.com

1 Like

I tend to sit up straight, and thanks to adjustments in the seat, I can do that, but never touch my head to the headrest.

I have also removed and reinstalled headrests to tip toward the rear on several cars due to the uncomfortable position they were originally in. After showing owners how to remove the headrests several pulled them out and left them out. I can’t say as I blame them.

To the op, I feel your pain as I have had to flip headrest on a tundra and later bought headrest with DVD player that tilted. That was a bonus and loved the headrests I recently bought a Sierra and and the stock units were great till I bought headrest with DVD players and they were made to the new standards. I tried reclining seat back but that wasn’t helping so I called the manufacturer of the headrest and they made a new set for me with a different angle so I could sit up straight and not forward like an elderly person. I think you ought to replace your headrests or you can contact a headrest company to see if they can help you.

Wow. That’s impressive.
Do you hire out to solve people’s problems?

I found out how to remove the headrests to turn them around - on another site. Like the original poster, I sit up very straight (as does my daughter) and the headrests in the original confirmation make our necks hurt. I bought my 2018 Sonata yesterday and found the answer last night.

On the base of the post opposite to the one with the release button to raise and lower the headrest, there is a small hole. Once the headrest is raised all the way up, while pressing in the release button, poke a paper clip in the hole. It will release the headrest the rest of the way. It can be done by one person, but is probably easier with a little help.

With the headrest turned around, I can sit with my back against the seat and my head touching the headrest. In the original confirmation, only my lower back is touching the seat, and the headrest still forces my head at a painful angle.

I’m sorry to ask this [obvious] question, but why would somebody buy a car where the sitting position is hugely uncomfortable and it is known on day one?

By installing the headrest the way it was not designed to be installed, you are…

#1: likely exposing yourself to the danger of breaking your neck in collision

#2. giving the insurance company a free pass to deny the medical part of the claim if you survive

WHY??

There are many cars on the market, which are “more car for the buck” to compare to Sonata

3 Likes