Uncomfortable drivers seat

I just bought a 07 Hyundai Azera. Great car but I can’t drive it because the seat is killing my back. Tried all adjustments & auto upholsterer which helped a little. If I find a comfortable seat from another make at a salvage shop, can I replace seats & will the power seat work?

I hate reading about these kinds of stories since, in many cases, putting in a new seat is not practical, and it all could have been avoided if you had done your research by taking an extended test drive or renting one before you bought.

My grandmother got a lumbar pillow for her lower back that helped her drive such a car. I think she got it from her chiropractor or at a flea market.

In the end, the only option might be to buy a vehicle that fits your needs. I hope someone comes up with a solution for you. If not, make sure you do a better job of evaluating your next car before you buy it.

Whitey when I post like you do I am told I am “slapping people down” are you special?

I don’t see where Whitey was slapping anyone down. I did not read anything in his post that indicated that the OP was at fault other than not knowing something that is not commonly known.

I don’t recall when you were told that you might be slapping someone down, but for the most part, it is not want is said, but the way it is said that is the problem.

The OP has to consider the issue of the car’s side airbags, which are located in the side of the seat’s backrest. I am definitely NOT an expert on the topic of airbags, but since all of the car’s airbags have to “communicate” properly with the computer that controls their deployment, the use of a seat from another make of car will very likely cause a miscommunication with the car’s overall SRS system, and this could prevent any and all of the car’s airbags from deploying properly in the event of a serious accident. Also, the working of the power seat is questionable if the seat from another make is substituted, especially if the wire connectors do not mate up properly.

In addition to the safety factors that I mentioned, the resale value of a car with non-matching seats will be seriously downgraded, so that is another factor to consider. And, of course, the resale value of a car with non-functioning airbags will take a serious hit also.

I am not trying to “slap down” the OP, but if he/she is really concerned with safety as well as seat comfort, I would respectfully suggest that he/she shop around for another vehicle, rather than putting a non-matching seat in this car.

And, whether the OP is going to shop for a replacement vehicle now or in the future, please remember what Whitey suggested–namely to request an extended test drive of any vehicle being contemplated for purchase.

Just the other day under Toyota Malfunction Light I suggested the OP my be in “over his head” (exact words) I was told “people come here for help not to be slapped down”.

Whitey tells the OP to do a better job evaluating his next car, I feel my comment was pretty tame and I also fell Whiteys was also tame but why do I get chastised?

I agree. Investigate additional padding; you might want to discuss this with a doctor or chiropractor. If you can’t find orthopedic devices that work, look at a new car. A new seat is not a practical option, and should be the last thing you consider.

And oldschool, Whitey’s not special, you are! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It is nice to be noticed :slight_smile:

I understand your problem. My wife and I owned a 1993 Oldsmobile 88 that we bought when the car was 3 years old. It was a great car, except that it was uncomfortable for me to drive any distance over 50 miles. The car had power seats (and almost every other accessory), but I couldn’t get comfortable in the driver’s seat on long trips. When we traveled, we drove our 1990 Ford Aerostar minivan and left the newer Oldsmobile at home.

Certain people just don’t fit in certain cars. Seat height, distance to the pedals, seat padding,and a host of other variables come into play. Even changing to another seat might not change the right parameter for your comfort. Since apparently you didn’t buy the car new, you probably won’t lose too much in depreciation if you trade it for soemthing else. We ultimately sold the Oldsmobile and purchased a Toyota 4Runner and are much more comfortable on trips because we sit higher.

I believe it was Mountainbike that told us he had to trade in a brand new Toyota after a little while and couple grand in depreciation.
Seat comfort is a personal thing to everyone, but a car with bench seats might help out. New Impalas, Crown Vic, Sable, Town Car, some older SUVs

I suffer from degenerative disc disease and went through exactly the same thing in 2005 with a new Corolla. I tried everything, but ultimately traded it after only two months for a new Scion tC. I lost $2500 on that mistake, but I have never spent $2500 more wisely. It was a medical expense. I love the tC and have driven it pain free for 4 years now.

Take good, long test drives, find something that works, and trade the Hyundae. Consider it a medical expense, well worth whatever the loss is. Living in pain just plain is not worth it.

It isn’t fair; 40 OP’s are laughing and saying “look what Whitey wrote, he just hits the nail on the head, it was great”, oldschool makes one comment “I personally don’t like purple for a car color” and the OP swears that he won’t ever ask another question here. I have to write three awful jokes to get people mad. (Don’t admit to being a teacher or I might get you.)

Generally real good advice. As buyers, my self included, we usually don’t spend enough time in a car before buying it. Besides, how many dealers will let you take a car on a sustained trip w/o paying rental. Car seats are so important, it has cost the patronage for many vehicles we would have previously considered.

I’d buy a car with lots of adjustment options ( 6 ways with power lumbar support,made standard in some Toyotas and others ). Test have shown (don’t ask me where) that continual change in seating posture and support goes a long way in easing a lot of back issues in sustained driving.

Check out new Taurus with this feature.
http://www.ford.com/about-ford/news-announcements/press-releases/press-releases-detail/pr-2010-taurus-multicontour-seats-30533

There are reasons Ford didn’t have to accept the bailout and isn’t bankrupt, yet.

Not so, old school. You did indeed say he seemed to be in over his head, but you said other things first. As I remember it, you trashed him out for typos. Air Fuel ration instead of ratio, though his next usage was spelled correctly, and at least one other typo or simply not knowing the right nomenclature that were pure trivia. And, likewise I believe I explained that in detail in my response as the basis for my negative response.

I have found you to be a good contributor here, but that posting had a certain amount of un-needed negative in it and I called you on it as I would expect to be called down if I slapped someone down like that.

I suspect the problem was you jumped the wrong direction. Had you jumped the teaching direction, which I believe you can do, you might have suggested books or manuals he might access in his local library,to learn some of the basics.

Such a posting would have been closer to your other good postings in the past.

But, I stand by my remark.

I once took the seats (2) out of a Caddy Eldorado and installed them in a Dodge Van. Nice 6-way leather power seats. So YES, it CAN be done, but it will take some custom fabrication to get the mounting points lined up and bolted in correctly. It might be cheaper to have an automotive upholstery shop to rebuild your seats to your liking…

Read the post I said your car does not have a Air/Ration sensor you are presenting you codes in the wrong format and your car does not have a Engine Malfunction light I submit you are over your head,It is very hard to lie (for most of us) when everything is recorded.

What was the language that could be considered trashing him for typos? It is all recorded. It was you that mentioned typos I never said a word about a typo.

I went on to explain how the use of Engine Malfunction Light could give the wrong impression about what was monitored.