Driver side window will not close

I have a 2009 Mazda CX-7.

My drivers side window will not close.

It starts to go up, but then it goes back down.

Does someone know what the problem may be ?

Thanks.

Power windows with the “Auto Up” feature will reverse direction if there is an obstruction in the path of the glass or a mechanical failure.

First, try the power window reset procedure, this will relearn the full closed position:

1 Like

If @Nevada_545’s method doesn’t work, the window may have reached the power limit set to prevent closing the window on body parts. I’d first lube the window tracks and see if that helps. If not, you may need to replace the window motor or window regulator. When I’ve done the replacement in the past I bought a regulator/motor assembly.

1 Like

The window did roll all the way up this morning.

I decided to not use the electric windows and take it to a mechanic.

It could be one of 3 things.

window regulator

window motor

or the switch assembly.

Sometimes dirt & debris gets stuck in the door’s window-frame channel along the window’s edge and needs to be cleaned out. You’d immediately notice this if you were manually winding the window up/down w/the older style hand cranks. The advantage of the manual window cranks was that you know it time for for a cleaning; but w/electric windows you don’t notice the required force is gradually increasing. The only clue you get is when the window simply won’t go up and down by pressing the buttons, as it did before. Suggest to take a look at the window channels, presuming you are still able to get the windows in the down position…

How can I inspect the window channels?

The glass run shouldn’t require any maintenance. The window has a cable operated lift mechanism, the problem is likely that the cable is binding. The window regulator will need to be replaced.

You can see them with the window open. Look for debris lodging inside the channels where the window edges rides up and down. A small wooden/plastic stick etc will be helpful to clean it out. Dirt/debris on the glass could cause the window to stick, but usually that gets rubbed off every time you open/close the window.

I remove the door cards & lube the pivots on the regulators every couple of years on my vehicle’s manual crank windows as part of routine maintenance. Makes a world of difference. Good opportunity to lube the door lock linkage too. My cars’ regulator configuration is different tho, no cables. @Nevada … if OP decides to become a stalwart diy’er, with the cable type of window regulator, does it make sense to lube those as part of routine maintenance? Or is it more practical to just to replace the regulators when they start sticking?

We already have people accusing us of “wallet flushing” by recommending services that are not specifically outlined in the owner’s manual but that are needed to prolong the life of your car. Now we’re supposed to sell a “door inner mechanism clean and lube” for $200 every 30,000 miles as well? Another goal for the service consultants to achieve? :smiley:

I have kept a detailed log of things done to my car.

I could not upload it. Are picture files the only files that can be uploaded.

Any comments are welcome.

That what I have also done for the past 40 years or so. I began doing this after I mistakenly had the radiator flushed, and the antifreeze replaced twice, in less than one year.

Having to peruse a stack of invoices whenever one needs to decide on the specifics of the next service visit isn’t necessary if one simply constructs and maintains a chart that shows–on one page-- all of the maintenance that has been done.

Taking this a bit further (overboard), why not start selling an engine/transmission and if available rear-end refresh with all new wear items and seal/gaskets every 30-50K miles for preventive maintenance??? How about replacing all the steering and suspension parts for the same reason??? Just think of how long your vehicle would last without a breakdown if everything was replaced early??? :upside_down_face:

How far do you take it before to much is to costly?? Check the owners manual, it is already done for you for the most part…

I’ve successfully uploaded only .jpg and .gif files here. There’s no need to show us your entire maintenance log, but you are welcome to show us an example, take a photo of one page with your cell phone and convert it into one of those formats, should upload w/o much difficulty.

Replacement vs regular servicing seems a pretty easy decision: Which of the two represents the least burden to the owner’s wallet . It’s going to vary car to car and owner to owner.

Suppose I charge .7 hours to clean and lube a window regulator, average shop rate is $180/hr. 4 regulators per car. $550 every 2 years to reduce (not eliminate) the chances of window failure.

Average car is 12 years old. $3300 in window regulator maintenance. I have no information as to how much the average driver spends on window mechanism repair, but I suspect it’s far less than $3300 over the term of ownership.

I see your point. I once charged a customer for a washer fluid flush and system cleaning. That could have been avoided by regularly changing the fluid and cleaning the washer tank. But considering the car was over 15 years old, I think she was still money ahead.

Like I say, which strategy is best varies car to car and owner to owner. Just this morning I did a routine service on a bathroom faucet. Took about 90 minutes. I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck, wouldn’t have done that job if I had a clearly less expensive alternative. Other than my time & a little faucet grease, no charge.

I am looking for a site I can upload text files.

Then I can post a link.

Wordpress might work for that. You can probably just cut and paste the text directly here as well.

No George, I’m not suggesting that you did. But looking at the numbers, I can’t imagine that servicing a window mechanism at regular intervals would be of benefit.

For some things, you don’t maintain them. You just replace them when they break. Like lawnmowers. I have never in my life changed the oil in a lawnmower. Or bathroom faucets. I’m pretty confident I can change out a bathroom faucet and supply lines in 90 minutes. Given that, I’m just going to install a new one for a hundred bucks and never worry about it again–without ever doing any maintenance to it.

Now I understand there are people who feel that way about cars. But a car is $50K, and a lawnmower is $500.

2 Likes