'Driver reached speeds of 140 mph'

‘officers conducting a traffic enforcement operation in the area saw Pacino driving over 100 mph near Montgomery and Eubank. Police tried to pull over Pacino, who was in a 2020 Dodge Charger Hellcat,’
Can it go that fast? I thought ordinary cars were limited.

It’s an amusing story.

Sure it can. I think the car may have programming that limits the speed to whatever the speed rating of the original tires is. Probably in the 120mph range. But that can be hacked and overwritten.

Just the other day something here stirred my memory to driving a 65 Chrysler at 105mph.

1 Like

140 is nothing for the Hellcat SRT Redeye. Top speed is 203 mph.

Is it’s “just” a Hellcat, it’s 185 to 195:

This is not an ordinary car.

A dozen years ago a female customer entered the shop and told the technician to torque her wheels because she sometimes reaches 150 MPH in the desert. After she left, the tech replied that there was no way this Chrysler would reach 150 MPH. I looked up the specs, the 300C SRT8 has a top speed of 170 MPH.

The Hellcat has a 707 horsepower engine and can reach 129 MPH in the 1/4 mile. Top speed as stated in the post above.

My Olds Aurora had what was called the Autobahn Package which allowed speeds up to 140 I guess. Normally the V8 northstar engine was limited to 105. Special option. No idea how fast it would go but if you stepped on the gas, it would get up and move.

Getting mixed info but thinking I went to 120 on my bosses mgc gt before shifting into 5th and cruising. Maybe it was only a 4 speed, but 120 mph I remember. I think I was 18 at the time in the 70’s running deliveries to Chicago from 45 miles away.

Wow, that’s a lot faster than I want to go. I think the fastest I’ve ever driven has been about 95 mph in passing situations several times. The first time I hit that kind of speed was in my parents’ 1965 Olds 98 with my mom riding shotgun and calmly talking me through driving that fast.

The car with the best stability by far that I’ve had up to that speed is my current 2014 Camry when it was only a couple of years old and had the original Michelin tires.

I have driven a car on the Autobahn at 145… in an Audi A6 turbo diesel wagon.

I’ve driven an Opel Omega at 140 on the Autobahn, a Corvette on a test track at 146 and my current Mustang at 142 (before I ran out of room) on a racetrack.

All with either V (149 mph), (edit:) ZR rating (186 mph) also Y (186 - I don’t know why there are 2 at this speed)) and the old Z rating no longer used which is the new V rating (149) or W (168 mph) rated tires.

Kinda dull, actually on a place safe enough to DO these speeds. More fun to do a 100 pulling 1.3 Gs in a corner.

Top speed I’m my Accord is limited - by the normally aspirated I-4 engine and CVT transmission. :blush:

I have a 1960 Chrysler 300F with a 413 and 2 four barrel carbs mounted out near the fenders on intake manifolds with 30" long tubes. That model in stock condition was tested on the beach in Daytona at 137mph when it was introduced in late 1959.

Something like this?

That’s it!

Must be fun changing the spark plugs! Kind of like a FWD V6.

I’ve never had the pleasure. I’ve run the car less than 500 miles since I bought it in the 70’s.

Must have been exciting on bias ply tires!

That 300F with the Long Ram is worth some serious money.
The Short Ram version is worth even more with only a dozen or so built and mostly useful for higher RPMs and speeds.

Regarding tires, Tiny Lund won the 1963 Daytona 500 race on one set of tires; which to me is amazing. A local car museum has one of his 63 1/2 Galaxies on display.

I loved the outrageous looks of the cross-ram 413 wedge. Just insane!

1 Like

Hopefully no turns or curves involved. I’ve never put radials on mine.

Easily. The Charger/Challenger Hellcats are capable of about 200 MPH. 700+ HP from the factory, nothing in the ECU to limit top speed.

I thought a “ZR” speed rating meant the tire was good for over 149+ (no upper limit given), and Y was 186 MPH max. I want to say the ZR speed rating predates the Y rating. But both are still in use.