Drive train problem

My wife’s 2005 Neon has a front end vibration at about 35-40 mph. The vibration occurs notably on deceleration, i.e. no power, but upon acceleration, the vibration disappears. Vibration appears to occur at left front wheel. Tires are relatively new (within past year, and recently were checked for balance).

Drive train problem? And, if so, what is likely to be causing it?

joints get washed out, rusted bearing rollers bind, vibraltion ensues. Or, tire ballance weight falls off when you hit a bump just right, or some teenage kid steals it to add to his collection, and you get the unballance signal of front end vibes.

Is deceleration vibration related to braking? Auto or manual transmission?

deceleration vibration occurs when coasting, no brakes, i.e. backing off power. disappears or at least diminishes when power applied. Car is automatic transmission, 46000 miles.

car only has 46 000 miles. Shouldn’t be worn suspension. Vibration occurs mainly when coasting at about 35-40 mph. Diminishes or disappears when accelerating and steady state speed.

Does braking have no effect on the vibration?

Braking functions (rotor, shoes, etc.) all normal, from my own knowledge of braking. I have not actually applied the brakes at that speed when road testing. Vibration occurs upon coasting (no power applied to wheels), diminishes upon acceleration, and seems to be associated with left front wheel.

Try moving that tire to the back and the back tire forward. See if the vibration follows the tire. At the very least, it may eliminate the tire definitively.