Dream Cars

Suprisingly the Mustang II did show some popularity, also as a kit car base.

The Mustang II was not a great car but it was the right car at the right time.Ford sold ton’s of them.If it was not for the Mustang II there may not be the new Mustang’s we have today.

I think the older versions were great, and the newer models are starting to grow on me, but there was a 2 decade or so gap (80’s and 90’s primarily) that really didn’t do anything for me.

I actually got to ride in one of these once. Ridiculous luxury and power, yet miserable ride at the same time - cramped and HOT - that V12 must have been hitting 10% overall efficiency, with most of the rest going to heat that seemed to dump into the passenger compartment.

I always loved the styling on the Jaguar XJs up through 2009, except when they used square headlamps.

Now I want a pre-war Packard, and I honestly don’t care which model. :slight_smile:

It was a '70s effort to make an econo Mustang. It was not one of Lee Iacocca’s best efforts.

Mustang II. Sorry piece of metal. The only good part of the car was the front end which was good for building street rods.

I have been fortunate to work on and drive alot of cars in my professional career in the auto industry. I would have to visit Jay Lenos garage before I could make a conclusion. Ferrari 308, BMW M1, Acura NSX,Porche 911 Twin Turbo stick out in my memories . Its great to drive these cars and not worrying about the expense of ownership.

McLaren F1, hands down. I mean, if you’re going to dream, you should reach for the top!

Without a doubt… a Corvette, the newer the more expensive, the better. They have improved with every model and is what I feel, the best touring sports car for American highways. (Also, just one last ride on a Norton 750.)

The Mustang II was the best looking Ford Pinto ever built! A colleague bought one and the only good things about it were the surprisingly quiet ride, and good bucket seats as well.

My all-time dream cars are the same now as when I was a teenager: '69 Hemi Daytona Charger, '70 Hemi Superbird, '69 Charger, '59 Cadillac Eldorado or Coupe Deville, '66/'67 Nova SS, and about a few dozen others rattling around my brain every day.

I agree dagosa, I have an '80 vette, and I would buy a new vette in a heartbeat if I could win the lottery. Diamond-chevy, you list great cars, but they just don’t handle that well, and the steering wheel has to be constantly steered like a boat rudder .Great cars for the long straight roads of the Mid-West and South-West states though.

I would have to say a highly optioned 1971 Dodge Challenger with any big block, but preferably the elephant or the 440 six pack. It would absolutely have to be a four speed and have rear window louvers, and a Dana 60 rear end. Elastomeric bumpers would also be nice, since I am dreaming.

When I was a kid, I was pretty unrealistic. I wanted Inspector Gadget’s minivan that transformed into a supercar. I wanted the Countach they used on the short lived dweeb show “Automan.” And I wanted a Kenworth, because big trucks were cool.

Today, I’ve got a laundry list:

1935 Auburn 852 Boattail Speedster, in white. 1937 Cord 812. 1948 Hudson Commodore. Delahaye 165. 1940’s MG TC (wire wheels required). Porsche 356-A Speedster, in silver. Lotec Sirius. McLaren F1.

And a 1940’s cab-over car hauler to ferry them around.

Heh. On second thought, my childhood list was probably more obtainable :wink:

Great pic! I forgot about the McLaren.

When I was really young, I thought the Mach 5 was the coolest car there ever was… Too bad it didn’t really exist.
I also fell in love with my mother’s '65 Ford Country Sedan. I’ve never seen another one like it. Country Squire is common, but a Galaxy station wagon (the Country Sedan) seems really rare.
By the time I was in High School, I wanted a '57 Desoto Fireflite, a 1930 Rolls Royce speedster with a Merlin engine, and also something I figured I’d have to build myself… A sleek bodied car with a really big electric motor in it. Funny… The Tesla Model S kind of fits the description of that.

Now… A '32-'34 Franklin Series 17, Tesla Model S, and a WO Bentley Speed Six.