Download podcast to cell phone?

Anybody know how? I can listen to one from npr link but see no way to download mp3 file to cell phone memory and listen later off line.

Install the NPR One app. Then you can save episodes for listening later.

1 Like

One way would to be to buy Car Talk CDs, rip them to iTunes or some other app, and then synchronize the app with the app on your phone.

A brief search of the iTunes store shows you can buy every episode of Car Talk for $0.99 each, and several audio downloads of what was previously released on CDs. Once you’ve purchased the audio files in iTunes, you can create play lists and synchronize those play lists with an iPhone.

If you don’t have an iPhone, you might be able to get an iTunes app or Apple Music app for a non-iPhone, but if you can’t, a used iPhone 5s can be bought on eBay for a reasonable price. It doesn’t need to be activated with a phone company for you to use it on your local WiFi network and connect to your car’s radio via bluetooth.

1 Like

Spotify Premium will let you download them.

Its hard 4 me 2 understand why i can download mp3 to my desktop computer and listen later no problem but to do that w cell phone need ap. Explanation?

Hi George:
The net is filled with lots of sites containing information for how to dowload podcasts to an android, iphone, or even an apple watch. Are you not able to find a site with instructions to explain how you can do it?

Since I don’t know what kind of phone you have, that is difficult to say, but my best guess is that the phone is run with proprietary software meant to monetize your habits and preferences. Your desktop computer also attempts to monetize your habits and preferences, but to a slightly lesser extent.

Android not connected to cell network using local wifi instead. I presume theres a way not needing ap but i find surfing web awkward using cell phone.

I never did figure this out, but due to the improved pandemic status I now have — albeit limited — internet access again. I have been listening to the same 10 Car Talk podcasts for the last 15 months … lol … I seriously was getting tired of listening to that newlywed caller with the classic MG in the garage taking up space. His wife demanded he either get it working or sell it so he called Ray and Tom for their advice. He couldn’t resolve this issue on his own I guess. Sort of like someone in front of you at Starbuck who can’t decide what kind of coffee they want. Most of the other Car Talk callers on these 10 podcasts I didn’t mind hearing their car problems over and over again, but the wishy-washy MG guy – omg!! Fortunately there’s a skip to the next show button on my mp3 player … lol …

In any event I’ve downloaded a bunch new shows directly to my mp3 player and am back in business Car Talk podcast-wise for now. Thanks to the Car Talk staff for keeping the Best of shows coming. The 10 podcasts I did have access to were actually quite beneficial to improving my pandemic experience. :slight_smile:

Guys, this is simple. Here’s the website to download the MP3 podcasts: The Best of Car Talk : NPR

I took a look at the link glasspilot provided using my android phone. That link takes you to a page with links to several apps. If you click on the NPR One app, it gives you the option to stream the show. There is a small “download” button at the top of the screen that allows you to download the NPR One app. Once you install the app, you will see it has a “Listen Later” option that allows you to choose to either download the show or add it to a playlist for streaming.

To download shows via glasspilot’s link in your phone’s web browser, change your phone’s browser setting to “show desktop site”. When viewed in desktop mode, a download link will appear next to each episode (NOTE: the current week’s episode will not have a download link, the previous episodes will have the link). Click on the download link, and an audio player will appear on your phone’s screen. Depending on the browser, you can open a menu to download the file. For example on Chrome you will get a menu with three vertical dots on the right side of the player. Press it and a download link appears. With Firefox, you long press the player, like on the 0:00 time indicator, and the menu will open up with the option to “Save file to device”. Again, I did this with an Android phone.

I consider myself fairly tech savvy, but other than using the NPR One app, it seems like the show is offered more for streaming when accessed via a phone and less for downloading and playing offline.

If anyone had found a simpler solution, please pass it along.

To me an app is a middleman you don’t need. Just download the show MP3 files to your device and use the MP3 player app already on your phone.

Glasspilot, were you able to download a show on your phone any easier than the web browser method I outlined?

Actually, the way I do it is download the files on my PC. When I get a bunch I plug in my phone via USB cable and transfer them. (I listen to about 4 different podcasts) But I don’t see why downloading them directly onto the phone would be a problem.

Spotify and Google Podcasts will both allow you to download a podcast.

Makes sense when you say that you downloaded via a PC that it is an easy process, because on a desktop browser a download link is displayed for each show. For some reason, the mobile version of the page on my Android phone using the Chrome or Firefox browsers displayed a “listen” button to stream the show but no download button. I had to tell the browser to use the desktop agent to get the download link to appear.

I use a podcast manager app on my phone such as Podcast Addict to find, subscribe, download, and play podcasts. It simplifies the process - no PC or USB cord needed. The podcasts download straight into the phone.

Kcac, one trick when the mobile website doesn’t give you what you want. Go to desktop view, you might find the download links appear.

You are right about the desktop view, that is what I discovered, too. That is what I mean that if you access that particular site and some others on a mobile device, they seem to push streaming, where a lot of people prefer to download and listen later. Downloading while connected to wi-fi or via a PC then copying to the phone makes sense if you do not have unlimited mobile data.

I guess it is just a matter of perspective. For the longest time I clung to my pocket radio for listening while out walking my dogs. The teens and 20-year-olds in the family would just shake their heads at my continued use of terrestrial radio (vintage technology to them) when the same content could be streamed on a phone without the static or signal fade of conventional radio.