Door Lock Malfunction - 2009 Jetta Sportwagen

I’ve been dealing with a frustrating issue for a while now. Whenever I use my key fob the alarm sets but my front and back driver side doors won’t lock. After playing around I’ve noticed that the driver’s side door locks when actually inserting the key and turning. Also, all of the doors lock when I am sitting in the driver’s seat and push the lock button on the door panel but the back driver’s side door won’t unlock unless I crank the vehicle and hit the unlock button. I don’t think the key fob has a low battery because I’ve used both key fobs and it locks one side but not the other. It’s all very weird to me. The situation is frustrating for two reasons: 1) doors are not actually locking so thieves have access to whatever they can grab and run away; 2) I occasionally forget to hit the unlock button and cause my alarm to go off and annoy neighbors, coworkers, etc. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I’d like a quick fix but I’m afraid I’m going to have to open up the door panels and play around all weekend.

Door locking functions are “programmable”. I think you have inadvertently altered the program. Read your owner’s manual to see if there are instructions on programming the door locks.

If not, see if the dealer’s parts window guy can print VW’s protocol for programming the system. Dealers will have an “initialization” procedure to prep the cars before delivery, as well as a manufacturer’s troubleshooting, repair, and reprogramming protocols. The parts guy should be happy to print one for you.

I had the same issue with my 2010 door locks…I ended up replacing 3 out the four door locks as they went bad about 18 months ago—I like taking the car on trips but need security! The guy at the shop said they recently changed the lock part number (maybe because they are unreliable?)…good luck!

BTW I also griped to VW America who said the car was out of warranty with 100k miles—I pointed out my Acura was older and has 150k miles and the locks still work…Alas is was like peeing into the wind!

Also check the wiring where the wires enter the door, usually near the hinges. Sometimes that wiring will chafe from opening and closing the door and rub away the insulation. Are the doors affected the ones you use the most?