Doing Clutch Replacement in Walmart Parking Lot

Its not I just changed it. There isn’t a leak there anymore but ill show you a video so you can see where the brake fluid is leaking

To give you a better idea what’s going on. Here’s a video. The bar that’s going across were collecting all the fluid is basically underneath my car but to give you a better understanding these if I were to go to my dry driver side car door and then down to look underneath the car it would be about a foot in towards the middle

The clutch compartment for my master cyl reservoir is smaller. So when it leaks the clutch is affected first. It seems as though the clutch compartment has to be completely full before any fluid actual run out of it. Which is kind of cool because it’s safe. So hrakes work fine the pedal is hard

I can’t tell where it’s leaking. Try having someone press the clutch or the brake pedal while you look at it. You might see it coming out from the pressure.

Look under the carpet behind the clutch pedal. You may find brake fluid on the carpet pad.

I just felt under the carpet and it’s slightly moist. The liquid Smells like brake fluid, great now i have to pull the carpet up

I know this is not a record but still 205 posts and 3.1K views is pretty high. This is kinda like “As the world turns” if they are on TV anymore.

1 Like

Does anyone wonder just how cheaply an honest mechanic would have charged to get this car going?

1 Like

Lol, It’s an interesting thread title.
I really want to see this guy get the car fixed.

1 Like

I don’t know, the last clutch job I paid a mechanic for was $900+, that was 10-15 years ago on a 4x4 truck. I’ll probably attempt it myself if there’s a next time.

I recall a friend who had a safe installed in the floor of his office and found it broken out of the floor and hauled away. There was less than $100 in cash in the safe and the owner said the thief could have worked a great deal less and earned that much money honestly.

Somewhere in @RickyRobert’s epic tale of woe there seems to be enough misspent money and effort to equal or surpass the price of a repair when you consider the entire problem may have been the master cylinder to begin with and then figure in the incidental problems caused by the rushed/inexperienced struggle to do unnecessary work. I have thought back to several would be customers who had dismantled parts of their cars and in desperation brought them to me to repair “cheap and in a hurry” but were disappointed when I gave them outrageous estimates and demanded half the estimate up front to protect myself which thankfully led them further down the road.

And @RickyRobert, please understand I don’t wish to belittle your efforts but you seem too eager to jump into something on a hunch and when you jump it’s with both feet from the roof with little effort at understanding the situation or even closely observing how things operate, e.g., “the reservoir was full.” That dark “bath tub ring” on the plastic seems to have cost you a great deal of trouble. Hopefully you have had a learning experience. Good luck with your future efforts. Maybe your talents are more suited to dealing with the public rather than wrenches.

What is “transmission fluid” in your manual transmission? My British cars used 30 weight engine oil. My domestic M/Ts used 90 weight gear oil.

If [quote=“RickyRobert, post:198, topic:108613”]
…the engine mounts are bad i already knew that coming into this.
[/quote]

There is a chance that was the problem from the start, and you might not have needed a new clutch. On my car movement of the engine produces the same symptoms as a bad clutch.

There is no point proceeding without replacing the damaged engine mounts.

1 Like

I have no mechanical advice for you, but i hope life leads you to a better place than the one you are in now. I had friends that had to live in their cars or couch surf at different points in their lives. Its a rough life, i wish you the best and hope and pray you get that car going.

I hate to be too critical here, but at some point in this escapade it became a dog chasing its tail…

1 Like

And who has not enjoyed watching a dog chasing it’s tail?

1 Like

when i open these threads on my ipad it starts at page 1. if i open it with my computer it goes right to the last posted thread or 210 or so in this discussion. anyone know why? i have not figured out how to easily scroll down 200 posts on my ipad. would be nice if there was a setting to tweak to go right to the last post

I believe this might be one of the options you can access in your account settings. I don’t know whether the setting will affect behavior in Windows or in iOS, but one of the options I just changed is the one where, when you comment, it takes you to your comment and you lose your place in the discussion. I turned it off and I’m much happier to pick up and the comment to which I responded.

Another forum I use has an animated icon of a fellow clubbing a horse.

1 Like

Let’s see if I can upload an animated GIF file or three. I admit the first looks more like a donkey than a horse.

deadhorse

dead horse 1

dead horse 2