Dodge Neon Check Engine Light

I have a 2000 Dodge Neon. I filled up my car yesterday and shortly thereafter I felt a bump like I hit something in the road. The road was clear. Then the check engine light came on. A friend told me to check my gas cap. I tightened it and the light went off.

Today the check engine light came on again. I began to slow down to turn and my car stuttered and then revved a bit by itself. Any ideas? Finding a mechanic willing to look at your engine on this island is difficult.

i have had 2 neons and a sensor caused mine to act up and not run. most of the time when the chech engine light comes on its a sensor, what one is the question but the majority of the time its the oxygen sensor on the exaust manifold.

You need to find out what trouble code(s) is(are) present. Many large auto parts chain stores will do this for free. Post back with the actual number(s).

The first incident of the check engine light may have been unrelated to the gas cap. The light probably reported a borderline condition with one of the sensors. The check engine light may come and go on its on for a while. Then it will stay on permanently until the problem condition is addressed. The actual problem need not be a serious one.

You need to find a mechanic somewhere who will attach an instrument known as a scanner to your car and find out what the computer is complaining about. You will receive one or more codes, which you can report here for futher advice.

A mechanic will usually charge for this service but, as NYBo pointed out, several auto parts stores will do this for free. Go to AutoZone or Advance Auto, if available.

Replacing an oxygen sensor is not the automatic solution to a check engine light. Follow NYBo and SteveF’s advice to get the codes read at an auto parts store.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Regarding warning lights:

1. if the coolant temp light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

2. if the oil warning light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

3. if a FLASHING MIL/CEL comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

ASAP means driving to the berm of the highway right now and not waiting for the next exit.

But if the MIL/CEL is not flashing, then it’s not an urgent indicator.

What was your speed when you felt the bump? I’m leaning (maybe about 30 degrees from the vertical) to suspect the transmission lockup torque converter of locking, or unlocking, at the wrong time.
If you’ve never changed the transmission fluid and filter, now is a good time. It’s routine scheduled maintenance, anyway. It might help. No guarantee. Likewise, change the original fuel filter. A shade-palm mechanic can do these things.
Bring the DTC trouble code here. We can cuss’em and discuss’em.

ASAP

means to me allow - stupid - answers- perfectly=ASAP!

wink ,wink!

I was probably going between 35-40 mph. I am looking for someone to do diagnostics and will post the code.

The traveling mechanic finally got to my car. The code is PO340. He says to just get some additive to add to my fuel tank to clean it out and after doing this three times or so I should be okay. Then he added, if the problem persists go to the dealership. What are your thoughts?

The code P0340 indicates a malfunction with the camshaft position sensor. You need to replace this sensor eventually.

Disregard your friend’s statements about the fuel tank or using additives to clean something. He simply had no idea about P0340 so he had to make up something. His suggestion will accomplish nothing.