Check Engine Light

We have a 2001 Dodge Caravan. The check engine light will not go off. It has been this way for years (since right after the warranty period, of course), and our mechanic (whom we trust) says there is nothing wrong with it,he’d drive it to Alaska. We have had one vehicle emission test (3 years ago), and our stymied mechanic sent us to a guy to whom we paid $300-- he took the car and came back with a sticker that we had passed (may have been a bribe, this is Chicago). He told us we might want to get a new gas cap. Well, now we are facing a second emission test. We got a new gas cap, but after driving 10 miles, the light came back on. I have driven round-trip between Chicago and Toronto with this light on. Any ideas?

how many miles?

have you gone anywhere to have the codes read on an OBDII scanner?

if you have had them read what are they?

autozone reads them for free!

tell us what they are.

the engine light doesn’t light up just 'cause. there is a reason.

but more info is needed.

Go to Autozone, ask them to scan it for you I am told some do it free, then come back here and tell us what codes they have. Without it, we can only guess it might be 0440, but it is not wise for us to be guessing.

For the light to be on, there must be a trouble code. If the new gas cap turned the light off for a period, then I’m leaning to a problem in the evap system. But, go to an Autozone, O’reillys, Pep Boys, etc. to get the codes read for free, then post them back here.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.