Dodge Neon problems

My 2004 Dodge Neon occasionally “bucks” while I’m driving. One time it wouldn’t accelerate when I was on the highway and then it started to “buck”. Also, the check engine light is always on. Have had it checked many times- always an emissions code but mechanics say nothing wrong. Don’t know if this has to do with the “bucking”. Any suggestions?

You may want to try checking the codes again. Do it for free at your local auto parts store.

Is it worse in wet/humid weather? Is it time for new spark plugs and wires?

Is it not getting enough fuel? Time for a new fuel filter?

Is the engine misfiring or does it feel like the transmission? You need to offer more clues.

When was the last time that you replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, and fuel filter?
Most driveability problems can be resolved by simply bringing the vehicle up to date with required maintenance.

If, after having this maintenance done, the problem remains, then at least it will be much easier to diagnose the source of the problem. Incidentally, if you will post the exact trouble code that keeps appearing, we might be able to give you more specific advice.

Yeah- 67,000 miles so it probably needs a good tune up. It feels like the transmission- kind of lurches forward. The codes over the past couple years have been: PO 340, 440, 441, 456. Did replace the cam position sensor which we thought helped for a while but now it’s doing it again!