Do You think Engraving the VIN Number on a Catalytic Converter Will Prevent Thefts?

They are pretty short of staff around here so hire contract staff. They send you down right away but the it’s wait. At urgent care it was two hours last time and all I wanted was an antibiotic. I told her what I needed and she agreed and wrote the prescription. I think the price went up from $50 to over $100 just to talk to a live body. I wonder if I could have just gone to the farm store.

1 Like

Now we’re down to using cow medicine ? What a country!! … lol …

3 Likes

A neighbor told me a funny story about cat theft. His elderly parent’s car had the cat stolen. The parent paid $2000 for a new one. 3 weeks later, the new one got stolen. The parent didn’t have another $2000, so drove the car with no cat instead. The problem with this, at every stop light teenagers would want to have a drag race, thinking the reason the car is so loud is b/c it is a hot rod … lol …

1 Like

Then, as Jerry Seinfeld quips, you get to go into the smaller waiting room. :grinning:

2 Likes

The guy they arrested a while back with six cats was out on bail. He stole a couple more while he was out. The police tracked him though so easy case. Guess he needed some pocket money.

I say 55 for the year, then say 1855, no wait 1955

1 Like

I’m all for bail-release for first time offenders, but not subsequent times. Just curious, is this fellow out on bail again?

I’m also curious about the OP’s declaration about " Vin Numbers".
How many forum members have a Vehicle Identification Number Number?

Well, I do do

1 Like

It’s on the PCV valve … lol …

1 Like

I’m not in the loop but I think the judge reminded his bail so he’s eating chicken and hot dogs on my dime.

1 Like

It’s just one of those things where it seems hard to stop in normal low English. If people said v I thenen it would be natural to just say one number. Same thing if they normally would say vehicular identification number and it would be easy to stop. But when you use the abbreviation it’s just hard to stop with one number. I give less hardened literary folks a pass usuallly.

I am not entirely sure I understand this question. I have photographed the VIN Tag, and every other sticker or plate on the door frame or inside the engine compartment of all 5 of my vehicles (3 cars, 1 truck, and 1 motorcycle…) and have them on my Cell Phone. When you are in the parts store, you never know what additional questions the parts person will ask and I also have them all saved on my computer in case I need to know if the '85 Toyota’s engine is the “4A-C” or the “4A-LC” when I am ordering parts on-line… I just bring up the photo and I do not have to go rummaging around trying to find that info at the last minute…

BTY, it’s a 4A-LC and it is the transverse mounted version for Front Wheel Drive and beside the minor nuances of spark plugs, PVC, carburetor, and a “wavy” valve cover, while the 4A-C is for the Rear Wheel drive Tercel with difference in motor mounts, etc…

1 Like

If you hadn’t noticed, some folks are sticklers for proper English. Vin means vehicle identification number. So when people say vin number, it’s the same as saying number number.

Once in a while I think if my car was stolen would I be able to tell the olive my plate number. The answer is no. I would have no idea. Good idea though just to take a picture.

You don’t say say… Yeah, I’ve been known to be a stickler at times too too and I don’t mind having my leg pulled pulled…

The one that drove me crazy when I was a Network Manager in the Air Force was the folks wanted faster Internet Connectivity and demanded we put in a “Gigabit NIC Card…” (NIC is the acronym for Network Interface Card… so like number number, they wanted a card card…

But I soon got over it, when you say “VIN Number” or “NIC Card” without the Number of Card following, it like just referring to something with its “first name” and the listener may not understand the context of the statement…

But you must realize that those of us who suffer an affliction that is called RAS Syndrome (where “RAS” stands for “Redundant Acronym Syndrome”, (Notice that I actually wrote that I suffer from Redundant Acronym Syndrome Syndrome…).

It is making the phrase “RAS syndrome” homological due to the redundant use of one or more of the words that make up an acronym in conjunction with the abbreviated form.

So I will probably continue to go to the ATM Machine and put in my PIN Number because I am a VIP Person with a SSN Number that is displayed on my LCD Display watch while I watch the CNN News to see if there is an FBI Investigation, and if there is, I will check to see if the UPC Code has been altered before I take the SAT Test and spend good money from my IRA Account or buy more RAM Memory so I can print this in PDF Format…

And I will ask you to please don’t be a “Stickler” about this as RAS Syndrome is protected under the ADA Act (Americans with Disabilities Act Act…)…

L :rofl: L

I don’t think the program is designed to prevent or deter theft. The best you can hope is that engraving the vehicle’s VIN on your catalytic converter will increase the odds of you getting it back if it ever happens to be recovered.

The time to deter a thief is before he climbs under your car.

I think that those odds are… not good.
The unscrupulous recyclers who buy cats in bulk almost surely break the cats apart right away to get the precious metals, and then dispose of/deface the outer shell so as to not get caught buying stolen goods.

Mr Grinder will make quick work to deface any engraving you can do… I’m sure if someone can afford a cordless Sawzall, they can afford a cordless angle grinder also…

Years ago I was told that engraving your name on your tools will only remind the thief to who they stole the tool from…

3 Likes

My own Corolla has a similar engine but is a little newer, 4A-FE, fuel injected. Just curious, on that car do you have any difficulties with diagnosing carb problems? My repair manual also includes the 4A-LC procedures, and the carb on that engine looks to be quite complicated gadget.

So if get my cat cut off, then next day have it all repaired for a couple thousand so I can use te car, should I be greatly enthused that months later, the police return a rusty cat with parts of the exhaust system still intact? What would I do with it? Save it for next time? Does anyone see the logic in this? Class? Class? Anyone?

I believe it is an attempt to pretend to do something about the crime and theft problem without really coming up with a solution. Par for the course. Same as shooting someone but the body returned to the family when found. Yeah operation I’d all over. If they ever find your computer five years later, they can return it to you just so you can fight with your insurance agent about paying them back. Are there any serious people left?