Do you REALLY care about cup holders?

You made me Google as I had no idea what a Tervis was. I now know it is a brand .

It’s quite alright. We’re like a loud dysfunctional family here. If we were ever all together in one large room, it would be amazingly loud. If you ever want to see some fun, start a thread on brands of oil :wink:

1 Like

You can bookmark a thread? I didn’t know that!

That’s one way to look at it. I don’t care to say it’s a plastic insulated mug with a spill proof cap. I think of the term Tervis as a shorthand way to put all of that stuff into one word.

So you’re not at all worried about becoming thirsty during a long trip?

What will you do if you’re thirsty?

Start looking for the next truck stop, so that you can buy a bottle of water? But you’ll have to drink it all there, because you said you won’t use the cup holder in the car

Or maybe your wife or a friend would like to drink a soda or cup of coffee while in the car with you

What will you tell them . . . “Cup holders are a waste of time and money. You’ll just have to hold the cup and try not to spill it”

People typically spend a lot of time in their car(s) . . . driving to work, vacation, church, shopping and so forth . . . as such it’s important that your time spent in the car is reasonably comfortable, and that includes cupholders

I think db4690 said it best. I spend a lot of time in my car as I do field service work, plus I have to drive a good distance to a church where I play the organ early Sunday mornings…I don’t know why the hell it took so long for cup holders to become a standard feature…My '94 Saturn didn’t have any. I like to take my travel mug of coffee with me in the morning, and I’m pretty sure that it is safer to have a place to put it when the car is moving…

Where do you put the bottle while in the car?

I care about cup holders in the sense that I want at least one accessible to the driver and/or passenger. I don’t consider this a luxury feature. This is something I expect a car to have, just like I expect working seat belts, windows that roll down, side mirrors, etc.

I do not allow anyone to eat or drink anything other than bottled water in any of my cars, however the cup holders are useful for holding a bottle of water, or transporting the beverages provided with a fast-food meal home.

Whoa! What a Frankenstein’s monster I created! Almost completely at a tangent from my original comment. (All my fault; I should have noticed sooner). I’ve nothing against cup holders per se, my comment was the IMPORTANCE given cup holders in automobile reviews. Consumer Reports includes them in its reviews, as do auto magazines, YouTube car reviewers, some with 100K+ viewers, make a point of showing the cup holders in closeups, at least one criticized the holders, they were too small or too large, not enough of them…you get the idea.
So, fellow CarTalkers, enjoy your cup holders, I am not coming while you’re asleep to remove them from your cars. I, personally, believe they have as much place in a review of an automobile as floor mats.
I hope that will allow this thread to die a peaceful death.

I must have great genes. I’ve been driving for 70 years, never used a cup holder, and never suffered dehydration or thirst causing me to search desperately for a source of liquids.
In any event, as noted in my message of a few minutes ago, my original point was lost in the melee. As far as I’m concerned, this thread is closed.

And you would put it where? In the cup holder?

Well, I’ve seen it happen, and it’s not really a good thing

Oh, so now you don’t want to hear any additional comments . . . ?!

Well, that’s the thing about the internet

People come on here, to make their point

And then they’re unhappy when some/most don’t share their opinion(s)

did you expect that everybody would read what you had to say and not have want to share their own opinions and experiences, even if they didn’t mirror yours . . . ?!

There’s a lot mechanics and gearheads on this website

So we do have a lot of experience with cupholders, which ones work, which don’t, what manufacturer has good designs, which ones don’t and so forth

Again, opinions will vary

I believe we could have a long and productive discussion about floor mats, as well. They’re not all equal, as far as I’m concerned. One size definitely doesn’t fit all

2 Likes

Where were you when it was determined that some floor mats were getting in the way of operation of brake and accelerator pedals ?

3 Likes

Now they advertise how many cup holder’s do you remember the day’s when the ad;s were for how many ash tray’s?

3 Likes

Remember one car dealer saying his cars all included a cordless cigarette lighter :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To me they’re a convenience; not a necessity. I got along just fine for decades without cupholders and they would certainly never be a factor in my buying a car.

1 Like

We could even debate if weather tech is worth the exorbitant price.

We use them because we have them. And they get used frequently.

I think if you look at what we really need versus what we expect to have there will be quite a difference. We don’t really NEED electric garage door openers, microwave ovens, self-propelled lawnmowers, refrigerators with icemakers, saxophones, or any number of things that we all have in our daily lives. But we place value on them because we like them.

5 Likes

My 70’s truck didn’t come with a cup holder, so I made one for it. I was doing a lot of driving in the southwest USA desert country at the time. My daily driver here in San Jose, a Corolla, was designed w/two cup-holders. I fill up a container with water before I leave and drink it as I’m driving. I don’t have any medical problems that require I drink water while I’m driving; but I find a sip of water now and then makes for a more comfortable drive. I don’t have a need for more than one cup-holder myself, but every family’s needs are different. Do I really, absolutely need a cup-holder? No. If that’s the OP’s point, no disagreement.

I’m from ancient times and it never occurred to me to compare cars by counting the cupholders. In the old days, we counted sun visors. At least as late as 1959, the bottom line vehicles only had one sun visor. There was no passenger side sun visor. It was even important to count windshield wipers. As late as 1950, a passenger side wiper was an option on a Ford pickup truck. Also, I remember lesser cars and trucks that only had one taillight.
I am glad to now know I can tell the quality of a vehicle by the number of cup holders. This will be a good thing to know when I need to shop for a new car.
Actually, I do find the cupholder in my Sienna quite handy. Mrs. Triedaq gave me a Weathertech phone holder that fits in the cupholder and holds my smartphone.

4 Likes