Do they give out new gift certificates to old puzzlers?

I’ve noticed quite a few puzzler re-runs on the show. They even email me the questions and the website accepts answers. I am wondering if they give out new gift certificates each week?

On one hand its kinda cheating to give out new $26 gift certificates to old puzzlers. On the other hand they are wasting my time when they have me submit an answer and not actually give me a chance to collect the prize.

If you know it’s an old puzzler, why submit an answer? How are you submitting an answer? More importantly, maybe, why submit an answer to even a new puzzler? What are the odds that your answer will be picked? I don’t see how they’re wasting your time by having you submit an answer. You’re free to not do it. Color me puzzled.

Q - "why submit an answer?"
A - to win $26 worth of crap I don’t want

Q - How are you submitting an answer?
A - http://www.cartalk.com/ct/3500.jsp

Q - why submit an answer to even a new puzzler?
A - to win $26 worth of crap I don’t want

Q - What are the odds that your answer will be picked?
A - depends on how many people submit an answer

Q - How are they wasting your time?
A - They are wasting my time because they are having me enter a contest with no prize. I take my time and write in an answer to the puzzler in return they give me a small chance to win a worthless prize. If they are not living up to their end of the bargain, I am wasting my time.

You’ve created a really interesting sort of troll.

1. You don’t want the prize.

2. You don’t understand that the odds depend on how many people submit the “correct” answer.

3. “They are having me enter a contest” … interesting.

I will propose this: I will send you $26 of stuff of my own choosing. I am confident that you will not want it. But first, you send me a money order for $500. If yours is the first money order I receive, I will send you the $26 worth of stuff.

Just like Cartalk, I am “having” you enter a contest, where you stand to win something you don’t want, in exchange for something valuable, either $500 or your time.

The correct answer to this week’s puzzler is of course a saw and some molding that just happened to be in the kitchen (since someone already cut a hole in the floor). The answer they’re looking for is ice cubes. The best answer is dry ice, because that wouldn’t harm the underflooring.

The puzzler is kind of like a carnival. Even if you win it isn’t really worth the effort. You’ll get famouser by buying a few car books and giving bogus advice right here. Experience talking.

Interesting technique… people don’t know the answer so they attack the person posing the question. Does it really matter if I’m wasting my time even if they do give out the gift certificate? It is still a valid question: They are accepting entries to a contest with a prize… are they giving out the prize?

I don’t they give out new gift certificates for old puzzlers for theological reasons. “One does not put new wine in old wineskins”, so one should not give out new gift certificates for old puzzlers.

No one’s attacking you. You’re being educated. It doesn’t matter to me if you’re wasting your time. Even if it’s a brand new puzzler you’re wasting your time. No one compensates you for the time spent sending a response to a puzzler. Ever. And you will never win. It’s radio theater. No one wins.