Do i need to replace Throttle body/sensors?

I own a 2010 SV6 VE.
Currently has check engine light on, accelerating is weak, engine seems to be having a buring oil like smell the past week. Have cleaned throttle body.
Did a scan on car, code is P2176 Throttle Actuator control system. Not picking anything up on idle.
It does have a rough idle, yestersay while driving it, it seems to be feeling quite shakey.

Not sure what to do at this stage, any help would be amazing, thank you.

Is it an electronic throttle body?

And if so, how did you clean it?

Tester

Used Throttle body cleaner. (Nulon) then started engine after cleaning.

Unsure, how to tell. (Sorry, only just starting out in the mechanic world)

You didn’t answer my first question.

Does it have electronic throttle body?

Then answer simple questions, and you get better results.

Tester

I said i didnt know.

And asked how do i tell…

That’s an electronic throttle body.

At any time when you were cleaning the throttle body, did you push open the throttle plate inside the throttle body with your fingers?

Tester

That is a fault code associated with electronic throttle control so you did indicate to us that you vehicle has an electronically controlled throttle body in your original post.

1 Like

Yeah i did. Thats what i got told to do…

Thank you.

You can’t do that with an electronic throttle body.

Messes up the computer program.

You may have to take it to someone who has a scanner that can recalibrate the throttle body.

Tester

2 Likes

Oh okay… great lol…
Do you happen to know how much roughly is that going to cost me?

Thank you also.

You’re in Australia?

I’m in Minnesota!

How the hell would I know?

Tester

Figure up to an hour of the shop’s labor rate. That may be the minimum charge for any such service.

2 Likes

God dude, you dont need to be so rude :joy::joy:

Okay thank you heaps!

That code may mean the engine computer can’t figure out what position (angle) the throttle valve should be in to properly idle the engine. That could be due to the throttle valves’ actuator (motor) sticking, but it could alos be caused by an engine air leak (vacuum leak) that is bypassing the throttle valve. In that case whatever you do to correct the valve’s calibration, it will continue to be impossible for the computer to figure out the correct idling angle for the throttle valve. So good idea to have a look-see for any vacuum leak sources; e.g. broken vacuum hoses and connectors, power brake booster, pcv system, egr system, intake manifold gasket leaks, etc. If you have a sort of rubber boot between the engine air filter box and the throttle body, check carefully for any leaks there too.

Erase the fault codes, if P2176 returns plan on replacing the throttle body and not because you touched it but because that fault indicates that one of the two throttle position sensors is not sending the expected signal. There are two TPS sensors and the computer monitors their signal correlation to ensure the throttle body is operating properly and to prevent a runaway engine.