Do I need 2 mufflers?

I have an 86 Mercedes that needs a new exhaust system. The mechanic I took it to said there is a front muffler that can be eliminated in order to make the repair cheaper. I am wondering if this would be a wise decision, or if there is a need for the two mufflers beyond reducing noise.

The muffler’s only job is to quiet the exhaust. It’s your call, but a single muffler system may be quiet enough for you.

Some states will ticket you and impound your car if it doesn’t have an OEM exhaust on it.

Changing the exhaust design can cause emission changes.

And you had better make sure you stay within the noise ordinance in your area.

I’ll bet you dollars to donuts that the front “muffler” is actually a RESONATOR. I’ve eliminated them before and never noticed any difference in sound level but that doesn’t mean it won’t have an effect in your case. Only one way to know for sure.

I’m not sure what model you have, but for a '86 300E you can buy a center muffler for under $200:

http://catalog.worldpac.com/mercedesshop/sophio/quote.jsp?clientid=catalog.mercedesshop&cookieid=1CQ0J3JZ42760LFR2C&baseurl=http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/&partner=mercedesshop&year=1986&product=H5000-96068&application=000316529

An upscale car often has a muffler and a resonator. I had a Caprice with a “quiet package” once with this setup. When the car got older, Midas persuaded me that I would save a great deal by simply deleting the resonator; they had all the pipes in stock for then new setup. The sound level was slightly higher, but not annoying. I would do the same with the Mercedes.

I do believe it’s a muffler in this case, and you do want to replace it. Stay away from midas and other similar “chain” places. Find a good independent benz shop and have them use the correct OEM parts. I would guess that you can do the entire system correctly for under $1000, it’s not worth playing around with junk parts.

Thanks for the advice. In fact it is a 300E. Unfortunately at the moment I can’t afford to take it to the independent benz guys that I LOVE. However they reccomended the place that I have an appointment. I really love my car and I just want to treat it right. On that note, what sort of advice do you have for me regarding maintenence etc… It’s my first benz and I want it to last for a long time.