Depressurizing a fuel system to replace fuel filter

I have a 1992 Ford Ranger 2WD, 2.3L. I have spark but it is getting no fuel. Replacing the fuel filter seemed like a good place tp start (as the least expensive route)incase it is clogged. It looks like the origional. I got a new one, it says I may have to depressurize the fuel system b-4 installing. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how do I go about it ?

Shows how here: http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0b/9a/cd/0900823d800b9acd/repairInfoPages.htm

You can wear the protective goggles, wrap a rag around the hose connection you are disconnecting, and disconnect. The fuel line may require a special tool to disconnect. Most auto parts stores have the tools for $10 to $15 for a set of 5 or 6 (different sizes). While you are at the store, get a noid light to check for signals to fuel injectors to fire (during cranking). Heck! Go all out … and get the manual for your car. The $18 price will easily be off-set by the several hundred dollars you’ll save by NOT changing perfectly good parts.

I don’t bother, but my fuel filter is in a place where leaking fuel is easy to catch. There is probably a Schraeder valve on the fuel rail. You can also pull the fuel pump relay and crank the engine.

Pull the fuel pump electrical connection off the fuel pump relay.

Crank the engine for 30 seconds. 10 seconds at a time so as not to overheat cables and starter motor.

Fuel system is depressurized.

If the fuel filter has never been changed there is a good chance the fuel pump has been knocked out.

There are a number of things involved in making that pump work so the fact you do not have fuel pressure does not mean the filter is the problem.

Do you hear the pump energize for a couple of seconds when you first turn the key on?
If not, you may need to rethink your filter diagnosis.

Thanks for all the input ! I am a 53yr old woman with a broken back, so I have limited resources abilities & knowledge. I bought the truck for my son, along with the book, which he lost along the way. He is no longer in the area, so I am attempting to get it running and sell it to get some of my money back. I own a Chevy Luv, which I have worked on and kept alive for 12yrs, this is a totally different beast ! I believe it is most likely the fuel pump, as the relay “clicks”…I guess now I will seek another ear and grow that 3rd arm we all wish we had ! Thanks again.