Dealers staying alive

I think it’s totally inappropriate that you put the word problem in parentheses

It just proves my earlier point that you are not taking this seriously

The virus is a problem

no parentheses

6 Likes

People are subject to arrest if found to be traveling to or from a “non-essential” business. The car dealers, via incessant lobbying by the NADA, have been declared essential.

South of you the same. Lee county is considering a mandatory stay at home and Collier decided not to do that right now. I will point out that our stores are pretty well stocked with food. Friends and family in Ohio and Washington state, mandatory stay-at-home states, are seeing many more shortages.

When dealing with large issues, there are no efficient solutions. No matter what we do, it will be a little wrong, and maybe a lot wrong. What sort of error do you want to make? Covid-19 infections aren’t ramping up dramatically daily. Who can accurately estimate when it will abate, and who can know whether going back to work after it levels out won’t cause another spike in infections? If we underestimate the problems, a lot more people are going to suffocate slowly, and all alone at that. I will continue to listen to experts in viral infections and pandemics. Why is it so hard for you to do so?

3 Likes

Some people prefer to take shoot-from-the-hip advice from people who are not experts.
That category doesn’t include you, or me, but…
:thinking:

2 Likes

The growing ‘entitlement’ culture can be very costly. Everyone has the right to enjoy all that they are ‘entitled’ to and the rest of us be damned. But as they say, freedom ain’t free. Everyone’s ‘entitlement’ is costly to someone.

3 Likes

In most cases of people with this virus have symptoms similar to a mild to moderate cold. People who have pre-existing health problems are most vulnerable to more severe symptoms and should hunker down. These same folks are more vulnerable to colds, flu, you name it.

I’m fairly sure, and particularly my wife and her sister are, that I and my brother-in-law have already had this corona virus about a month or two ago. I hadn’t had a cold for over a decade and it hit us both about the same time. He belongs to a golf course that is part of an exclusive ($$$) sports academy that trains young, college age athletes from all over the world, including China. These kids play our course a couple of times per week and I have been in close contact, but they have been recently sent home.

Also, quite a few of the guys I play golf with nearly every day go on cruises and had been cruising and returning home at various times. Some had family members who were ill. One guy was stranded on the cruise ship for a while and came back, but didn’t self-quarantine, freaking out members of our course. Long story short, I was a prime target of this virus early on before anybody was really talking about Wuhan.

I had a slight fever and some congestion. I ended up taking myself to Urgent Care just because I could not sleep due to incessant coughing, otherwise I carried on just fine. There were others with similar symptoms there. The clinic did no testing as it wasn’t available and I think they were more a money mill than anything else.

Anyhow, this whole thing might possibly just have to play through. I can’t see how people can be totally isolated from exposure. Even shut-ins need food and supplies…

Around here you could make it illegal to go outside and nearly everybody would go anyhow. They don’t take to boss’n. Both our pools were well used today. I was in both.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses::palm_tree:

Much more. People are much more worried about losing their job if they havent already and their healthcare . Few people are going to buy a big ticket item like that .
As far as this virus you have to look at it from all points . A lot of people are looking at it as we should just stay home. That is fine as long as you have a job that will still be there but already there are millions of people who have lost their job and yes their healthcare . And im sure there are a lot of people who now have no healthcare and have conditions like heart issues and diabetes who can no longer afford their medicines . Without medicines for the heart and even insulin these people are going to die . So are we just going to sacrifice these people by keeping everything closed now ? Where will these people go when they get sick in short order , of course to your local hospital so we are just adding to the current problem . So there is no easy answer and it isnt just as cut and dried as stay home for all these people who are losing or have lost their jobs because of this whole shutdown .

Remember that the USG is offering loans to businesses so that they can continue to keep their employees. If the business keeps all their employees until business level is acceptable again, the loan will be forgiven.

Anyone living pay check to pay check is likely in one mellofahess and according to most reliable sources that’s half the U.S. population. Those who took cuts in pay and dug in to stay at their jobs are now seeing that those who were laid off will receive a heck of an unemployment check for the foreseeable future while staying home and keeping the kids who no longer have a day care center to attend. Who’s the winner there?

1 Like

If it were illegal to go outside and people did it anyway, I’d teach them a lesson they’d never forget. Arrest them and throw them in jail to await trial. After being found guilty, their penalty would be to go to New York City and assist nurses in caring for Covid 19 hospitalized patients.

3 Likes

and they should be denied masks, face shields, gloves and so forth :smirk:

it might turn out to be a lesson they’d never survive :skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

I was going to say that but I thought it was a bit much. One of my new year’s resolutions was to be less of an aggressive S.O.B.

I actually think you’ve got a refreshing attitude :+1:

Around here, folks are quite friendly, not so aggressive, so angry, but it takes all kinds to make the world go around! :smirk: I guess, if you enjoy living that way then who am I to say…

Our City’s motto is “Bradenton, the friendly city”. Everybody respects others.
https://cityofbradenton.com/behindtheshades

I have no problem with people who want to stay shut inside. I say “go for it!”

I think it could be a factor of both latitude and sunshine, seriously. I could not believe the difference in friendliness and attitude here when I came down from the north.

I wish everybody the best! We’ll get through this virus thing, especially if we don’t get hostile and remain in good spirits.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

I’m all for public health and protecting the population from bugs, seen and unseen, criminals, and other disorder. I would feel just a tiny bit better though if our free citizens in their pursuit of liberty and happiness, felt just a little tiny bit concerned with the statement “the government allowed me to go outside”. Just feel a little tiny bit concerned as we head down the path. Just a little. Shelter in place but be concerned-just a little. Like the NH motto, Live free or die. When this is all over, I want a lot of people fired. And remember there is a whole list of health threats just as deadly as this or worse that could be in our futures.

2 Likes

For what ? doing to little to late.

Practical solutions seem way too confusing to a great many and way too costly considering who is directly benefiting to many others. I saw a particularly partisan politically connected man suggest that the country determine who is most at risk to this current plague and strongly ‘urge’ them into somewhat pleasant isolated surroundings where a concentration of healthcare personnel and equipment are available and supporting them and financially covering their obligations until the coast is clear, so to speak. When vaccines and appropriate viral medications are available things would go back to normal but in the mean time 85% of the country would remain in normal mode. I would be among those seemingly at risk and while the surroundings that were offered might not be all that I likely deserve(?) I could ‘endure’ for a reasonable time.

For the most part my somewhat hermit existence has become more isolated anyway since locally restaurants, barber shops, gyms, etc are closed. If the powers that be threatened to lock me up if I were found out partying in public while offering me meals delivered to my home and one of those push button collars I’d happily survive and I imagine a great many my age would feel the same and let those young and healthy enough to deal with the CORVI19 go on enjoying life. But I fear there are too many people who would see someone who they feel doesn’t deserve such support and attention enjoying it so everyone is made equally miserable.

Otherwise known as the November, 2020 election.
:thinking:

5 Likes

I visited a few local dealership sites and they are either closed or their sales department is closed.

Unfortunately, they way things are going it does not look good. Both as far as number of deaths and the length of this thing. A lot of businesses are going under because of this.

We were not prepared for something of this scale. A shame I would say. We are using one N95 mask for the whole day, not safe for anyone. Those who think the stay home order is overblown, are risking their life and other people’s life. One person can infect many others without knowing and it keeps going on.

4 Likes