Dead Dashboard

electrical-wiring
honda
accord

I have a 2000 Honda Accord DX. On a short trip (3 miles) the “Maintenance Required” light flashed on and off twice, otherwise running fine. I stopped at a market for 10 minutes. When I tried to restart- nothing - no dashboard warning lights, no click, the headlights would not turn on. I tried moving the key from the on to off position a few times and noticed the clock and radio came on, still no dashboard lights. If I left key in on position I noticed a flickering of light on the dashboard “car door/break lamp” warning lights. Eventually all the warning lights came on. When I tried to start the car I heard 1 click and then everything went dead. I was able to repeat this sequence of events about 4 or 5 times. Finally I opened the main fuse bank under the hood, passenger side, to see if there were any mice making a home in there. Seeing none I closed the fuse bank door and then the car started on the next try. I drove it 5 miles (no warning lights came on during the drive) and left it off at my local mechanic (Honda experienced. Any ideas?

How many miles on your Accord?

How many keys on your key ring?

I’m wondering if your ignition switch is worn and not making contact correctly.

207500 miles.
5 keys on the key ring.
Thanks for the reply.