Daylight Savings Time Changes & Car Accidents

Not bizarre at all. That smaller clock leaves room for traditional radio controls, plus a CD player/changer.

Yes, I still use those sometimes, and it’s good to have them available.

@George_San_Jose1 I really wasn’t serious about Continuously Variable Time. Nobody would really know the time as it would be continuously variable. At least with specific time zones, one can translate Central Time to Mountain time. Airlines, for example, could never publish a schedule.
I wrote the post in a moment of frustration realizing I would have to reset all our clocks.
Actually, the sun dial comes close to my idea of CVT time.

1 Like

Well Fort Collins, Colorado serves most of the country but since the east coast had trouble picking up the signal, a second location was built in 2009. According to Wikipedia and several other sources.

Colorado fit my recollection of the clocks at work. Most were on the in house system but as people added their own clocks, we had to insist they be atomic to avoid the plant staff having to get on ladders to change the time twice a year.

I stop by several times a week at the local sun-dial here in San Jose to check the time while on bicycles rides. It seems like it is pretty accurate. It does have a small systematic error since San Jose is biased toward the western portion of the Pacific time zone. LA is closer to the center. Folks in LA don’t need clocks, they could just use a sun dial. Problem with that idea is, a lot of LA activity happens at night … lol …

If we lived 500+ years ago, probably lots of sun dials, one at nearly every house. We’d be in Time city! hmmm … No hot and cold running water though … Well, its a compromise.

I looked it up and NIST says that their cesium atomic clock is in Boulder, CO. The Ft Collins location is the radio broadcast station for the atomic clock, not the clock itself.

1 Like

It looks to me like San Jose is closer to the 120th meridian than Los Angeles is. Regardless, a sundial can easily be adjusted to match the actual longitude, so that actually doesn’t matter.

That is so funny. Buds came up to stay with us at the cabins. Have a 30 year old 35" tv, I had to replace some capacitors on 20 years ago. MIL died so we got her tv. They have a 60 inch top of the line tv. I took the old one up to the cabins to replace the 13" tv. Put it on the mantle over the fireplace instead of the 13" on an end table. Blasphemy I know but the first comment from buds was I cannot believe how clear that picture is. Go figure. Place is summer only so figured as long as it lasts in 18 below temps what do I care. Still going strong.

1 Like

Sun(and everything else for that matter!)'s apparent movement is approximately 1° every four minutes.

TV above a fire place works -

In a place of business such as a tavern with a mantle, or hotel or lodge with a similar public space. The majority of people are standing, socializing in those situations.

But not at home, where most folks are seated, on sofas, watching.

I’ll be sure to dismount the TV from the wall above the fireplace since it apparently won’t work there. :grinning:

1 Like

daylight

1 Like

I think maybe I need to just ease into the new time frame. Looking for my shotgun plug couldnt find it. Sold out at cabellas, then discovered it was still in the gun like it should be. Then coming back from Menards, in the pitch dark, a deer jumped in front of me. Brake and quick right, missed him. Discovered my license plate light was out so managed to turn a ten minute job into an hour when the thing disappeared behind the bumper cover.

Next?

My turn.
When I was a kid, we went back to standard time in October, dark for trick or treating, yeah! Our streets were well lighted.

1 Like

I was coming home on Sunday. Went over an Illinois river bridge and an SUV had slammed in to the back of a car at probably around 30 MPH in the left lane. The car might have been stalled as traffic was light. Then up the road a mile there was an accident with a car with a front wheel torn off and two vehicles being towed at an intersection. As I came through the accident intersection somebody made a left turn in front of me that was a close one. If I hadn’t already slowed down because of the accident then they might have hit me, but they could probably see that I was slowing down so they turned. The person who turned left may have actually turned left on a solid yellow arrow, but because of the flashing yellow arrow system, my light was yellow and not red as would be traditionally expected.

I didn’t know this was all because of DST!!!

My issue is less with DST itself than with which months it’s being expanded into.

As originally intended by Thomas Jefferson and William Willett, it was intended for months when the period of daylight was longer than the period of dark.

By that measure, DST should start in April and end in August. The effects of the change would be felt less than when changing it during shorter days.

And if I had to choose, I’d choose Standard time all year vs Daylight Saving all year. Year round DST would delay sunrises too late from November to March!

1 Like

At 12:27 a.m. Sunday morning, a car struck a utility pole a block down the street from our residence. Our power was off until 7:00 a.m. while the utility pole was being replaced. Maybe there is something to the time changing causing accidents.
I do know that I have a rebellious clock that does not tolerate the switch from standard time to daylight saving time. The clock is a pendulum clock made before 1900 which I inherited from my grandmother. When I set the clock up an hour, the striker falls behind an hour, so, for example when the hands are at 6 o’clock, the clock strikes five. I go through s two week period of adjustment before the clock accepts daylight time. The clock has no problem being set back to standard time. A couple of clock repairman couldn’t figure out the problem. I finally figured it out. President Roosevelt put the nation on daylight saving time for the war effort. My grandmother did not like FDR. She is getting back at me through the clock for my liberal leanings.

What can I say except I think your grandmother was ahead of her time.

One of the best things my wife did not inherit was that dang grandfather clock. My sil really wanted it and she got it. I don’t like clocks, especially the kind that sound off every hour. I think the repairman though wanted close to $1000 to tune it up. I would have put it out on the curb with a free sign on it. To fix it I would just let it run down and it will still be right twice a day or once if it is on 24 hour time. And to think some of those poor suckers in shop class actually built them. Other more serious minded students built beds instead. Kinda glad I never had a chance to take shop class.

The time changed at 2am. The accident must have been caused by not changing the time. :wink:

Some of us changed clocks early, even a day or two ahead.