Daylight Savings Time Changes & Car Accidents

It makes one wonder.

Tell your boss that you like to wake at sunrise, and you will show up for work about 1 hour and 20 minutes after. Standardized time is the curse of the industrial age.

2 Likes

In farm country one of the biggest complaints was from dairy farmers. Hard to get the cows to change their milking schedule.

2 Likes

Agree I was raised on a dairy farm another thing they did take weekends of or vacations. :smiley: :grinning:

This is not a new thing. It’s been happening for years.

I upgraded the system in my Highlander to a better one that has Apple Car Play. The clock on the new Kenwood system can be set to sync with the Apple Phone. Never have to worry about adjusting it again. But the clock that came with the vehicle - I adjust every now and then to match the kenwood.

It’s from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and almost certainly in Gaithersburg, MD.

Fun fact: They were going to name it the National Institute of Technology and Standards until they took a look at the acronym.

Another fun fact: Dogfish Head Brewery has an ale house right off the NIST campus. It’s almost enough to make we want to work there.

Another fun fact.

The Smoot standard - Understanding the Smoot - Larson Design Group

Who was president of the American National Standards Institute from 2001-2002 Oliver Smoot worked - Google Search

1 Like

The clock Mazda used wouldn’t be that hard to spring forward, but you’re still using a pen or your fingernail if it’s long enough to hold down the set button while it cycles through to the next hour. Such a small thing in reality and the rest of the car worked perfectly for the 19yrs we had it.

1 Like

That simple clock is more useful than some giant “infotainment” tablet sticking up out of the dash!

1 Like

Some people are averse to technology.

1 Like

Yes cause my old B&W 13" TV picture looked so much better across the room than my 58" 4K UHD smart TV’s picture looks now… :man_facepalming:

Should have gotten the OLED then… :smile:

2 Likes

I think we should have CVT (continuously variable time) clocks just as we now have CVT (continuously variable transmissions) in cars. The CVT clocks would begin about March 21 gradually increasing the time with the length of daylight. About September 21, the clocks would gradually decrease the time as the daylight becomes shorter.
The present system of setting the clocks up an hour in the spring and back an hour in the fall is as antiquated as the “lift and clunk” fluid drive transmissions in Chrysler products of the late 1940s and early 1950s where the transmission started in the lower gear and as one accelerated, the accelerator was released momentarily and the transmission shifted to a higher gear. With the present system, as the length of the day increases from December 22 into March, we set the clocks up an hour analogous to letting up on the accelerator momentarily with the fluid drive to go into the higher gear. In the fall we set the clocks back an hour as the amount of daylight decreases just like the fluid drive goes into a lower gear as the speed decreases.
(CVT vs fluid drive–I did my best to keep this post automotive related.)

+1
Additionally, I don’t think that I’m going out on that proverbial limb when I mention that the clock’s usefulness is limited to just one function, whereas the infotainment screen has a multitude of functions.

Essentially, the statement that a clock is “more useful” than an infotainment screen is really quite bizarre… IMHO.

1 Like

The clocks in today’s vehicles do keep time. I remember the spring driven clocks in cars of the 1940s and 1950s. About every 5 minutes, a solenoid would rewind the spring in these clocks. We always disconnected the clocks in our cars back then since they didn’t keep time and drained the battery.

With all of the cars from the '50s that we owned, or that friends owned, none of the clocks were even running–at all–after ~5 years. That was back in The Good Old Days, when… “everything was made better”. :smirk:

Had to go to the farm store last night and when I looked at the clock in the car I thought man it is really dark out for 6:30. Then I remembered I already set the clock back, and all was clear. Press clock, the turn the station dial. Easy. I’ve got half of the 22 clocks done over several days now but the trick is knowing which ones.

It’s a good idea, but it would be very confusing to the rest of the world. Businesses in particular would oppose it. It is very unlikely any idea, no matter how good it is, will stand up to business opposition. Businesses are a big source of funding for the elected politicians’ campaigns so tend to get their way.

Humor seems to zoom right over their heads.