2 hours of daylight savings time

Hi Guys,
You are so right about 2 hours of daylight savings time. When I visit my friend in France, we have so much extra time, so much extra light. It is truly great.

I lived in Moscow for five years. During the summer, the sky got dark around 11:00 PM, and light again around 4:00 AM. Even longer summer days in St. Petersburg (the same north latitude as Juneo Alaska). Winters were long, cold and dark. It’s all about the latitude and not about daylight saving time.

Some folks actually think that changing the clock for Daylight Saving time actually changes the amount of daylight. For better or worse, it only changes the indicated time of day that the daylight occurs. In your case of France, it has a higher latitude than your home in the US because it’s more similar to Canada. But there is nothing that can be done to elongate shorter days.

Generally speaking
You could set your clocks for any time at all that you wish.
Open and close your business at any time you wish.
Then try to convince everyone around you to do the same.

But the phone rings at all hours when family lives in;
Hawaii
Virginia
Texas
Ohio
New Mexico
California

During WW-2, they experimented with “double daylight time” , a two hour change instead of one. This let “B” shift factory workers, which included many women, get off work when it was still daylight…

Said it before…like all DST does is get people to do everything 1 hour earlier. They get up, go to work, to sleep, etc…one hour earlier. How? The gov’t decrees that “the time when the sun is directly overhead is now called 1PM, not 12PM.”

So, if you like being on an ealier schedule…why not just adopt one? Rather than have gov’t cause all the clocks to run 1 hour fast?

I guarantee that if you put your clocks ahead or back one hour to two hours, the government is not going to come to your door demanding you change your time. You and your boss determines that. :slight_smile:

"So, if you like being on an ealier schedule…why not just adopt one? Rather than have gov’t cause all the clocks to run 1 hour fast? "

Sounds like you don’t have any school age kids…School and kids won’t be too happy when I get them to school an hour earlier…

"Rather than have gov’t cause all the clocks to run 1 hour fast? "
Here in Indiana through the early 1950s, it was the law that all government entities including the state universities and colleges had to have their clocks on Central Standard Time. However, in the summer, all the schedules went on Daylight Savings Time. The clocks in the institutions all had placards on the face that said “CST”. One would go to a 9:00 a.m. class, but the clocks all read 8:00.